+1

300x Intercooler "Water Hose Joint"

Guys:

Had a good ride today - came back to the launch ramp, removed both plugs while ski is up on trailer and on the ramp incline, and nothing - nice - dry inside.

Head back home, do my usual clean-up and put some liquid Dawn in the hose fitting and proceede to flush the intercooler with the garden hose, and I am noticing some spray coming from inside the engine compartment just below the Oil Seperator Tank.

I snapped this pic, look for the brass fitting at the end of my "pencil pointer"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	005-16.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	276019 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5_1.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	276020

It seems that this brass fitting - referred to as a "water hose joint" by the illustration in the Service Manual at the bottom of the Intercooler Tank is the source of my leak.

I am curious of the following - please if I may ask:

1. Is it possible that this brass port only leaks during an "intercooler flushing" - as there was no water in my hull today after a good ride.
    2. Is it possible that I "aggravated" this fitting by having my garden hose pressure near "full" during my intercooler flushing session?
    3. How long do you guys flush the intercooler for (duration) - say 3 minutes?
    4. What kind of water pressure is flowing through the intercooler during engine operation (psi)?
    5. During normal engine operation, does water flow through this brass port fitting - which I assume leads directly to the rear flush port at the back of the ski?
    6. Think it is safe for me to run the ski in this manner (without flooding my hull) - or would you have this brass fitting replaced immediately, or you think I can get a few more rides out of it, and have it done during my 10 hour inspection?

Thanks Always for sharing with me your knowlege and experience.

+1

Is it Possible

Is it Possible that the hose is not all the way on the brass fitting (water hose joint) completely - or the hose clamp loosened-up and is vibrating off?

Please look at the following 2 pics and give me your opinion...... please

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	006-16.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	276027 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002-33.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	276028

Banned User
    +1
    I think u had the hose on to high.and also the hose may need to be pushed on further and tightened

+1
    i really dont think hose pressure is going to cause you any grief, i think you need to check if the fitting has split on the i/c or infact its just a loose hose clamp, you should check all clamps for tightness as part of regular after ride maintenace, good work for finding it your siphon type bilge more than likely purged any water that may have accumulated inthe hull.

looking at the pic it does look like your clamp is loose slide it back on and tighten it as per tommy above.

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by FIRE0021 View Post
    I think u had the hose on to high.and also the hose may need to be pushed on further and tightened
    no hose tap pressure is going to be able to cause a leak unless the fitting in question is not 100% correct to start with

Waz

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by sirbreaksalot View Post
    no hose tap pressure is going to be able to cause a leak unless the fitting in question is not 100% correct to start with

Waz
    Fire hose might

+1

Issue Resolved

Thanks Guys for your recommendations.

It seems the line around the circumference of the brass fitting I was seeing when it was "spraying" during my Intercooler Flushing Session - appeared to me as a "crack" in the fitting - when in actuality this line is machined into the fitting to tell the DH <---(Acronym borrowed from Ange) how far to push the hose on before running down the hose clamp.

Hence, it seems that someone back in Lincoln, Nebraska forgot to do something before they went on their Lunch Break..... Tighten my hose clamp!!!

Potential Major Disaster Averted...

Banned User
    +1
    Tighten (but don't overtighten) every single hose clamp on the ski you can possibly get to, there were several loose on mine as I suspect is the case with most...one of the first things you do before riding and a then again at 5 and 10 h, boosted skis in particular

Also replace the coolant hoses with high temp silicone when you have time to do it (it's a bit of a pain), if one fails you can potentially swamp the engine bay

+1
    just to clarify most shops have no reported problems of cooling hose failures just the odd one here and there and its only one hose in particular if at all you are worried of it.

Thread Information