Bottom Paint - What needs to come off or out?

I have a 1997 Kawasaki 1100 STX and when I bought it I was a total newb and did not check out the bottom of the jet ski. The bottom of my STX looks like a crime scene!
    I can see that someone at some point repainted the bottom because what ever crap they used is falling off.
    What I want to do is sand, repair, prime, and re-paint my STX but since we are talking about the bottom and not the top of this heavy mamma I'm not sure how to go about getting to the bottom.
    Do I just get a stand and have some of my buddies try and flip it over onto a stand or do I need to remove the motor first?
    I guess that's my main question, do I need to remove my motor to repaint to bottom of my jet ski.

Thanks for any information you guys can give in advance.

More searching and I'm guessing that I will have to remove the motor.

Not a lot of tips on what needed to be removed but lets try another question.
    What kind of stand, if any, do I put the ski on to paint it"

Two things:
    1. The bottom hull is NOT painted on 1100 STX. It's gel coat from the factory.
    2. Use a hoist with a couple of rail hooks to hang the ski to paint the hull not the stand.

Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    Two things:
    1. The bottom hull is NOT painted on 1100 STX. It's gel coat from the factory.
    2. Use a hoist with a couple of rail hooks to hang the ski to paint the hull not the stand.
    But it looks like paint?
    lol, I know it's gel coat but I'm thinking whoever painted the bottom just used regular paint so I won't be doing that.
    As far as the Hoist with Rail Hooks I assume that means that I will be painting above my head. Never done that before, does Gel Coat blend pretty easy?

Thank for the info MGM

+1
    You can turn it upside down to sand & paint/gel coat it, just remove the battery, drain the fuel tank & oil tank, also disconnect exhaust hose from exhaust pipe so any water in the muffler doesn't drain into the engine. when done with the job pay special attention to making sure there are no air bubbles in the oil injection lines.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gruntus View Post
    I have a 1997 Kawasaki 1100 STX and when I bought it I was a total newb and did not check out the bottom of the jet ski. The bottom of my STX looks like a crime scene!
    I can see that someone at some point repainted the bottom because what ever crap they used is falling off.
    What I want to do is sand, repair, prime, and re-paint my STX but since we are talking about the bottom and not the top of this heavy mamma I'm not sure how to go about getting to the bottom.
    Do I just get a stand and have some of my buddies try and flip it over onto a stand or do I need to remove the motor first?
    I guess that's my main question, do I need to remove my motor to repaint to bottom of my jet ski.

Thanks for any information you guys can give in advance.
    taking the motor out and flipping the hull is no doubt the best option.
    If you dont want to go to that extreme.
    pump all the oil and fuel out.
    Roll the ski on one side and paint half the hull.
    Then roll the ski to the other side and paint the other half. (long way's).
    Before you paint the second side, wet rub the first half you painted, so that the over spray from the second half sticks to the first side you painted, them wet rub and polish the first side
    2-pak will work fine, just prepare the gel coat well and use a good primer and top coat.

Thread Information