Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1

    Did I get screwed?

    So I recently purchased a 250x, less than a week ago in fact. It has 200 hours on it and 30 on the supercharger rebuild. I did a lot of research and this isn't my first ski either. When i picked it up, it ran fine and everything seem in good working order. The ski does have parts like a ride plate etc. but nothing motor wise. It ran when I picked it up, ran when I got back to my house. I was going to take it out that night but it was getting dark. I had to work the rest of the week so I couldn't take it out, so Friday rolls along and I'm going to take it out for the first time, I started and ran it for I would say a good 10-15 mins before I left, running fine still, but I didn't get the thing over 3,000 rpm's. So me and a few of my other jet ski friends go to take it out on the river and thankfully they were with, after 5 mins of babying the thing and then started getting into it, I started loosing power, rpm's and speed. Smoke was just rolling out the back. I killed it, got it towed over to the beach, the bottom was full of oil. One of the dimples(idk if I'm using the right term) on the valve cover gasket, right in front of one of the cam shafts either blew out or wasn't put back in right. The motor wasn't locked up and still had some oil it in. So after fixing the gasket that night, and changing the oil, the next morning, going to start it again, it ran for a , and yet again ran for a maybe a minute tops idling, then lost power and died, wouldn't start after that. So I got to check the plugs, 1-3 are fine, needed to be replaced but nothing weird with them, cylinder 4 on the other hand, looked like it had metal melted to the spark plug, just alittle bit but it didn't look right. So either I'm thinking that I have atleast a fried ring, maybe a piston. After consulting my friends and two power sports dealerships it sounds like that's whats going on, but I have yet to tear the motor apart.

    Rebuild wise, cost? and what are some good sites for a rebuild kit?


  2. #2
    nicjak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Warragul, Downunder
    Posts
    7,794
    +1
    625
    yep its burnt a hole in no.4 piston causing excessive crankcase pressure of which blew out the rubber rocker cover gasket lobe with that many hours on the ski i would tear it completely down and rebuild with new bearings, who knows what else you will find wrong with it.
    you can price all your parts from the online oem store here, the link ontop of the page but you will need to pull it doen first as you coud have more damage than you anticipate.
    replace all gaskets, bearings, seals, oil pump, thrust bearing, pistons/rings/pins, o-rings.

  3. +1 by:


  4. #3
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    LA/oc
    Posts
    3,911
    +1
    129
    I'd drop it back off on dude door step and get a refund. That sucks.

  5. #4
    well i informed the guy and he said "he's going to make this right" and if that means he's going to pay for an entire rebuild, buy it back, or just help with something i do not know

  6. #5
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    LA/oc
    Posts
    3,911
    +1
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by blumunck View Post
    well i informed the guy and he said "he's going to make this right" and if that means he's going to pay for an entire rebuild, buy it back, or just help with something i do not know
    That's good to hear

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    yep its burnt a hole in no.4 piston causing excessive crankcase pressure of which blew out the rubber rocker cover gasket lobe with that many hours on the ski i would tear it completely down and rebuild with new bearings, who knows what else you will find wrong with it.
    you can price all your parts from the online oem store here, the link ontop of the page but you will need to pull it doen first as you coud have more damage than you anticipate.
    replace all gaskets, bearings, seals, oil pump, thrust bearing, pistons/rings/pins, o-rings.
    so i figured it would be like 1200ish without any machine work, is that low? and thats if i do it myself. i have a decent amount of motor knowledge but how complex of a rebuild is this?

  8. #7
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    LA/oc
    Posts
    3,911
    +1
    129
    A full rebuild is about 3 times that depends what's good and what's bad.

  9. #8
    4 grand for a full rebuild seems a bit much, the head is fine(from what i know) and the block is fine, too. I may only have to have on cylinder bored out. but yet i have no clue, i haven't torn about the motor yet and i might not depending on what the guy wants to do, or if he's going do anything. i should've just bought a new one, for how much money i'm going to have to put into this to get it to even move.

  10. #9
    nicjak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Warragul, Downunder
    Posts
    7,794
    +1
    625
    1.you cant bore it out,
    2. the head could be damaged from the metal flying around (it may have even dropped a valve to cause the hole in the piston),
    3. oil pump could be damaged from metal,
    4. cases could be damaged from worn thrust washers,
    5. bearings could also be damged from metal floating around,
    dont count your chickens till its all stripped down and checked out who knows you may have caught it before other damage occured, i have been lucky twice and very unlucky a 3rd time sh it happens!!!

  11. #10
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    LA/oc
    Posts
    3,911
    +1
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by blumunck View Post
    4 grand for a full rebuild seems a bit much, the head is fine(from what i know) and the block is fine, too. I may only have to have on cylinder bored out. but yet i have no clue, i haven't torn about the motor yet and i might not depending on what the guy wants to do, or if he's going do anything. i should've just bought a new one, for how much money i'm going to have to put into this to get it to even move.
    Cyl $800
    Case $800
    Head$1000
    Bearings gaskets $400
    Pistons/ rings $400
    Crank $1000

    I rounded down for ya. You may or may not need any of the above parts but if damaged most parts on the ski can not be salvaged. A dealer doing a full rebuild charges about 7500+ there not cheap when they go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Jerry/ did you get the package?
    By ULozer in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 03:23 PM
  2. Jerry/ did you get the package?
    By ULozer in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 01:02 PM
  3. Did I get ripped off or scammed?
    By dogger in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 06:16 PM
  4. Did everyone get their Christmas gifts?
    By Pistonwash in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-05-2006, 08:25 AM
  5. Did I get this right?
    By Jeff C in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-18-2005, 08:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •