+1

1st time towing/tubing - Sea-Doo R3 + GTI 155 Limited. TIPS?

Hey guys.

Had my first towable experience today (Canada Day weekend). Wow. Not sure what I expected, but it was nothing like it! haha.

I have the GTI 155 Limited and towed the Sea-Doo R3 - Three person tube. We had a full load of three people, I was driving with a spotter on the back.

I was surprised at how much drag it actually creates with a full load. It was a really strange feeling, like the stern was going to sink, until I got up on plan. It helped with the VTS trimmed all the way down. Turns were interesting and it was crazy fun watching the crew spin out passed the apex of the turn almost side-by-side to the ski.
    Everyone had a great time!

Any tips on towing/tubing for the next time we're out?

Thanks and Happy Canada Day (and soon Happy 4th of July!).
    Thanks!

+1
    Sounds like you did well, but if you wanna REALLY sling people around (ADULTS), get a single person tube. It's really great for your friends who think they are big stuff and think they can't be slung off a tube. Tubing behind a sea doo is much different than a boat as sea doo's can turn so much sharper.

+1
    Technically, if you were in(most of) the US, you would be illegal...You can only tow 1 person on the tube if you have the driver and the spotter..Thats a lot of weight for a 155 to tow around.....

+1
    See post #2 here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=178833

Every state is different about mirrors, spotter, # of people etc.

Specifically, here is what I have learned:

1. Gently take out the slack in the tow rope.
    2. ALWAYS start your hole shot to get on plane in a TURN. This puts much less stress on your ski and will get your ski on plane first then the tube quicker. It also allows YOU to monitor the tube, the tow rope(s), as you get on plane.
    3. Always keep aware of the tow rope - to keep from getting sucked into the intake grate!
    4. WHen people fall off, simply go to them like an upside down question mark (?), bring the rope and tube to them, keeping them in sight 100% of time.
    5. I rarely ever see above 6000 rpm or above 25 mph.
    6. Never let slack get into the tow rope as your pulling it, if you do it will jerk the shit out of the tube and jerks the ass end of the ski too much.
    7. Trim full down is good.
    8. I used to tow 4-6 kids on the tubes in the picture with my 2005 GTX 185, no problems.

My kids / young adults are experts at doing this now and we get very aggressive with whipping them around!

Safety FIRST! Have fun.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post

2. ALWAYS start your hole shot to get on plane in a TURN. This puts much less stress on your ski and will get your ski on plane first then the tube quicker. It also allows YOU to monitor the tube, the tow rope(s), as you get on plane.
    3. Always keep aware of the tow rope - to keep from getting sucked into the intake grate!
    4. WHen people fall off, simply go to them like an upside down question mark (?), bring the rope and tube to them, keeping them in sight 100% of time.
    6. Never let slack get into the tow rope as your pulling it, if you do it will jerk the shit out of the tube and jerks the ass end of the ski too much.
    8. I used to tow 4-6 kids on the tubes in the picture with my 2005 GTX 185, no problems.

My kids / young adults are experts at doing this now and we get very aggressive with whipping them around!

Safety FIRST! Have fun.
    2-4 person tubes. Holy hell.
    I can't believe the TUBES didn't whip YOU around on turns.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post

Safety FIRST! Have fun.
    Nice tips. I've never thought of #2, makes sense though. I'll have to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
    Technically, if you were in(most of) the US, you would be illegal...You can only tow 1 person on the tube if you have the driver and the spotter..Thats a lot of weight for a 155 to tow around.....
    Are you saying that you cant tow more than 1 person with a jetski with a spotter on board? I have never heard of this before

+1
    You must have an available seat for all riders.
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman_gq View Post
    Are you saying that you cant tow more than 1 person with a jetski with a spotter on board? I have never heard of this before

Thread Information