Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1996 seadoo gti ?

Have a 96 gti that was taken to the shop and the carbs where rebuilt the mechanic said that the ski runs fine but when i put it in the water it will not stay idled. If you play with the throttle and give it gas it takes off good but as it reach top rpm it starts to surge rev up and then back down any ideas why. i figure that he didnt idle it up high enough for the water so where going to idle it up some . but im just not sure of why it not reaching top rpm and surging back and forth at wot would it be that the high and low jets are not set right.or could it be that it is sucking air some where.

adjust your idle screw for in the water use..

When you get to the rpm point where it is surging - pull the choke out a little (this will richen the fuel mixture).. if it gets better then your top end is running lean - if it gets worse then your running rich..

+1
    Surging at high rpm is typical of fuel starvation. Something is still plugged up with goo.

Yeah I was thinking the same things just needed a second opinion was things maybe he just didnt get the carbs set right think I got ripped off he has had the ski for three months saying he was working on them and he said he water tested it and that it ran fine guess he didnt notice it wouldn't even idle in the water and that it surges at wot .

+1
    WOW!! 3 months to do a fuel system?????? You're looking at 2-3 hours max. Is there anybody else near you that knows anything?

had this same problem first time out on my used xp, ive been out twice now, veteran !!! the fuel lines were hooked up wrong on the carbs engine side (inboard frm hull) it was a return line and a crossover line reversed, should have looked like this, (attached picture)dont know if thats what you got, carbs just done, maybe hooked up wrong, hope this helps, just trying to help, ive got so much good info off this site, im grateful, good luck, yes ive replaced my 50 ft. of new fuel lines on both skis and 40 stainless clamps, 1 good day of two tried, looking foward to saturday, try again !!!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00025.jpg 
Views:	853 
Size:	117.0 KB 
ID:	277817

Am I missing something in that picture..

I see a pulse line and one fuel line - no return line..

Basicly I see a closed loop in that fuel line routing..

+1
    No, the bottom line in that pic that goes left to the y is the return line. The top short one is the fuel transfer to the rear carb. You can't see the main fuel in on that pic. The pulse is the black one to the right with the regular hose clamp.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    kinda doubt it got water tested..or if it did he just didn't want to make it right. Ask for your money back since it's obvious that repair wasn't a high priority.

Out of water idle should be 2500-3k for a carbed ski..which seem high to the unitiiated.

general hint...when getting work done...make sure you tell the tech you want ALL REPLACED PARTS back. Theya re rquired to do this by federal law if you request it ( except in the case of things like starters..where there could be a "core charge"

please post you solution

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information