cdi went up in smoke

well im late to getting my skis out. put a new batterry in my 96 700slt with about 86 hrs on it and poof! i smell melting electrical. smoke pouring out of the electric box.

so i open the box and the cdi is melted in its center. touch the battery cable to the post and smoke bellows out the cdi. so im going on the assumption my cdi is shot.

bike ran strong last year. and my ? to the experts are should i just do a hurricane update kit or test out the stator and coil ohms and replace with a used cdi? i need to get

this puppy running by the end of the month so when i go camping i got it with me for the week.

also, if i do an update kit do i need to time it or as long as i dont rotate anything it should be good?

Banned User
    +1
    Definitely do the update, and check out all of your wiring as well. You should check the timing, it seems people have been running into timing issues lately with the 2 cylinder update kits.

Quote Originally Posted by BryanP View Post
    Definitely do the update, and check out all of your wiring as well. You should check the timing, it seems people have been running into timing issues lately with the 2 cylinder update kits.

another ? i been searching posts but how to i pin down my rpms? i only have a fuel guage. im sure most automotive shops wont have something for a 2 stroke.

Thread Information