Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Think I stripped my drive shaft

2010 RXT-X with 95hrs. Had the SC rebuilt at 75hrs. I was riding all day yesterday, nothing crazy mostly just cruising. Went to leave the beach and got on it and a really loud screaming noise started coming from the back of the ski, I lost thrust so I shut it down quick. Figured I'd start it up again and see what happens, immediately started screaming. So I pulled the machine and there is nothing in the pump/impeller and nothing wrapped around the shaft, so I start it up on the trailer out of the water and everything sounds fine.

I think I may have taken the splines out on my driveshaft or the impeller. Anyone else had this problem or have any other ideas? I'm still under warranty but I'd like to have something to point them in the right direction

Full Throttle or Broke!!! UNSANE's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the club! Had the same thing happen on my 2010. But since I put an aftermarket prop on it, they refused to warranty this known problem. Cost me 1300 bucks when all was said and done. They should be replacing it with the 2012 C-clip driveshaft, which is a better design I'm told.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-25_14-09-59_641.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	276186   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2012-05-25_14-09-20_882.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	276187  

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman_gq View Post
    2010 RXT-X with 95hrs. Had the SC rebuilt at 75hrs. I was riding all day yesterday, nothing crazy mostly just cruising. Went to leave the beach and got on it and a really loud screaming noise started coming from the back of the ski, I lost thrust so I shut it down quick. Figured I'd start it up again and see what happens, immediately started screaming. So I pulled the machine and there is nothing in the pump/impeller and nothing wrapped around the shaft, so I start it up on the trailer out of the water and everything sounds fine.

I think I may have taken the splines out on my driveshaft or the impeller. Anyone else had this problem or have any other ideas? I'm still under warranty but I'd like to have something to point them in the right direction
    You have stripped the drive shaft/impeller splines. I have the same ski and stripped them twice. Loud scream is clasic and all to familiar. 2010 drive shaft has a manafacturing /quality issue (not hard enough) as well as a poor design. Just my 2 cents. Best course of action is to replace the 2010 with the 2011 design, which eliminates the "screw in drive shaft design" and replaces it with a original c-clip design. Some on this site have had sucess in getting the dealer to perform the change under warranty and some have not. If you install another 2010 shaft you will have the same issue down the road.
    Good luck...

+1
    Mine hasn't stripped yet, but I will def put the 2011 drive line in when it does.

Fortunately I have warranty till 2015 and the only thing I have done is put a stainless wear ring in it (it was a dealer demo unit and the stock ring was trashed) Its on its way to the dealer right now, which is unfortunately a 90mi one way trip for me. At least I still have the RXPX to ride

+1
    The problem with that is they will most likely replace in kind so you will eventually have the same issue down the road. Although I did hear that are not stocking the 2010 shafts anymore for this very reason. Hopefully they will upgrade you.

Im hoping I can get them to pull one from a floor model so I can get my machine back this week, Not too hopeful but im going to push for it

+1
    my seadoo rxt is done samething going on the 3rd drive shaft i had nothing but issue with this ski

shop just called and said that without tearing it apart, it looks like the shaft walked out of the impeller, he ordered a new shaft and impeller and his guys will tear it down tomorrow to see what all is damaged. It only ran for about 5 seconds like that and there was no water in the hull so I dont think it pushed forward enough to do any engine damage

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stuckmoto View Post
    The problem with that is they will most likely replace in kind so you will eventually have the same issue down the road. Although I did hear that are not stocking the 2010 shafts anymore for this very reason. Hopefully they will upgrade you.
    I hope you heard right about the not stock part, because the Doo parts page still lists a different part number for 2010, compared to the 2011/2012. As mine just stripped today with a whopping 29 hours on it. Dealer is picking up tomorrow, and said they have done 4 or 5 so far this summer. Hopefully I can get him to put a 11/12 shaft in it in place of the 2010, because 29 hrs on a shaft is BS. (all freshwater river/small lakes upstate NY.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information