Brand newbie...lost all my fuel

Hello to all from Pgh pa. I m probably no different than any one else. I'm here because I haven't even been in the water and I lost all my fuel. Bought a 95 SLT 750 from a nice guy. He's not a thief cause he works with a co workers dad. I think it's old and just one of those things anyway I bought the jetski. Toed it home. Been sitting a week and jacked it up after it rained and all this freakin gas poured out with the water. Lookin side and see a hose with nipple on it not connected to anything. Would sure be nice if there wret any doagrs online. Anyone know of any sights or have you seen this happen. I filled it up before parking

how much gas? could it just been gas that was pushed out from the heat. open it up and visually look at the gas tank to see how much fuel is missing from tank. Is it empty? if so you must have a crack or leak in fuel tank. if not empty it could be just the heat expansion pushing fuel out through a vent or something? Someone with a better understanding of the fuel system will probably respond for you.

+1
    Pressure will build up in the tank and push fuel out of a disconnected line in a hurry. There is a vent and a pressure inlet in the fuel system. I would look for a disconnected fuel line or perhaps the fuel fill hose isn't connected right, or crack / hole in the tank....

+1
    It can also be a leak in the fuel filter before the fuel valve. Someone had an automotive style fuel filter on one I purchased. It took a while to find it because I had to wait for the pressure to build in the tank before it would leak out into the hull.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Nokitov View Post
    ... Would sure be nice if there wret any doagrs online.

Anyone know of any sights or have you seen this happen. I filled it up before parking
    Say what?

As others will tell you, these machines need to be well maintained or troubles can happen.

Fuel fumes inside the hull can be explosive danger. Be sure to find and correct whatever the problems are. Do NOT assume the previous owner did everything properly.

See my signature links of commonly required maintenance issues, particularly for the fuel system.

Quote Originally Posted by dswelch View Post
    how much gas? could it just been gas that was pushed out from the heat. open it up and visually look at the gas tank to see how much fuel is missing from tank. Is it empty? if so you must have a crack or leak in fuel tank. if not empty it could be just the heat expansion pushing fuel out through a vent or something? Someone with a better understanding of the fuel system will probably respond for you.
    All of my gas

Quote Originally Posted by Nokitov View Post
    All of my gas
    You most likely have a cracked tank.

Resident Coffee Addict Oshawapilot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bgaidan View Post
    You most likely have a cracked tank.
    x2. If the tank was brittle when you bought it, the stress of suddenly being filled up and towed home (PWC trailers generally don't ride smoothly) could have caused a crack that subsequently allowed all your fuel to leak out into the hull.

Also, somewhat OT, in a marine environment with the realities of ethanol gas, you should always try to leave as little gas as possible in your machine and buy fresh just before riding. Filling it up only to park it for a week is generally discouraged in the jetski world. In this case it was a bit of a good thing it happened and showed you the issue now vs the first time you filled it and went riding, but in the future, don't store a lot of fuel in the tank during downtime.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Say what?

As others will tell you, these machines need to be well maintained or troubles can happen.

Fuel fumes inside the hull can be explosive danger. Be sure to find and correct whatever the problems are. Do NOT assume the previous owner did everything properly.

See my signature links of commonly required maintenance issues, particularly for the fuel system.
    "Weren't any doggers" or as I like to say "please don't make fun of me i'm new here".....

Thread Information