2002 Polaris Virage i - Starter spins but does not engage

Last time out the Ski seemed to not want to run and would have to be started 5 or 6 times before it would stay running long enough for a ride. The last time it stalled and we pushed the Start button it only makes a spinning noise but it does not engage the fly wheel to turn the motor over. Prior to this the Ski ran like a dream.

I was wondering if the Solenoid has gone bad. Any thoughts?

The Solenoid only energizes the starter, if you are hearing the starter spin but not engage, the likely suspect is your starter bendix. The bendix can get corrosion and not want to throw out. Often you can clean the up and add some grease and you are good to go. If not the bendix goes from around $30 on Ebay.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dalepatter View Post
    The Solenoid only energizes the starter, if you are hearing the starter spin but not engage, the likely suspect is your starter bendix. The bendix can get corrosion and not want to throw out. Often you can clean the up and add some grease and you are good to go. If not the bendix goes from around $30 on Ebay.
    Welcome to the Hulk! Definitely sounds like the bendix. This will likely involve flywheel removal to gain access to the bendix.....

Thanks for the insight on the Bendix. I'm not sure I want to launch into pulling the flywheel by myself. ( I am guessing the engine has to come out to do this ) Can anyone make a recommendation for a mechanic in the Atlanta, Ga area that could do the work?

Thread Information