Cavitation feeling comes and goes?

I have an 06 RXP with 137 hrs on it. Over Memorial day Weekend I was just cruising and all of the sudden it felt like it started cavitating real bad, then stopped after about 10 seconds and rode fine the rest of the weekend. Then this past Saturday I was riding it and all was fine, then all of the sudden while cruising, the same thing happened. If felt like it started cavitating real bad. the motor would rev fine, but it just felt like the prop was out of balance or something. I shut it off and jumped in the water to feel the intake grate and make sure there wasn't anything sucked into it and it was fine. Climbed back on, started the ski back up and it was still acting up, so I babied it back to the beach we were hanging out at til it was time to leave. After about an hour of sitting there, we decided to leave so we headed back to the marina and it rode fine like there was never anything wrong.

What could cause such a harsh cavitiation feeling to to come and go like this?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

+1
    you probably sucked something up and spit it out. It happens to me all the time

Quote Originally Posted by HardmanGT View Post
    Man I hope thats all it is. I just didnt think it would do it that long if that's all it was. there was a lot of debris in the water after the storms the previous day.

+1
    check your carbon ring and hat seal just to make sure,

+1
    +1

+1
    With the ski up on a trailer or lift, feel up behind/beyond the back of the intake grate, and make sure the plastic pump shoe lip is still 100% there and not cracked. When I cracked the lip of my pump shoe, it broke off, went thru the pump, and caused very similar symptoms to your situation. Once the pump shoe lip cracks or breaks, you lose top speed and it cavitates and 'does not feel right'. If it cracks or breaks, best to just replace the pump shoe, although it is a PITA job.

I have seen a lot of crud get stuck to the intake grate and fall away as soon you shut down the machine.

Primary Language: Sarcasm Pony Racer's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by HardmanGT View Post
    +1

in the video below @ 2:50 mark - about 4 min.. you will see and hear it happen...
    watch the roostertail.. i was worried if i slowed down it would have got worse.. so i stayed on it.. it cleared up on a slight turn..

After riding it for a few more hours this weekend, it never happened again, so I'm guessing it was just debris. Thanks for all the help.

Thread Information