Water and fumes in engine compatment 1991 650 LX

Working on a 1991 waverunner LX for the first time. The ski has exhaust fumes in the engine compartment and water getting in the engine compartment as well when I run it on the garden hose. Looks like the water is coming from the water lock compartment and I would imagine that the fumes are coming form there too. Is it normal for coolant water to be in the exhaust at the water lock box? I am thinking that the unit was not winterized properly and water was left in the water lock box. I was told that the ski ran fine last year. With the seat off and running on the garden hose it will not idle and will only keep running if I keep the RPM's up pretty high. It was winterized by one of the local marinas. It there something related to a cracked water lock box that could be causing the motor not run properly? Thanks in advance for any ideas. Anybody have a used water lock compartment for this ski?

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sledman1 View Post
    Working on a 1991 waverunner LX for the first time. The ski has exhaust fumes in the engine compartment and water getting in the engine compartment as well when I run it on the garden hose. Looks like the water is coming from the water lock compartment and I would imagine that the fumes are coming form there too. Is it normal for coolant water to be in the exhaust at the water lock box? I am thinking that the unit was not winterized properly and water was left in the water lock box. I was told that the ski ran fine last year. With the seat off and running on the garden hose it will not idle and will only keep running if I keep the RPM's up pretty high. It was winterized by one of the local marinas. It there something related to a cracked water lock box that could be causing the motor not run properly? Thanks in advance for any ideas. Anybody have a used water lock compartment for this ski?
    welcome to the forum, If you have an exhaust hose bad it will also leak water because water goes thru the exhaust.

The water lock compartment is a plastic box on this year ski. The epoxy they used to attach the cover failed and it looks like it might have some cracks in the box as well. Anybody has one of these for sale? Thanks.

Thread Information