Newbie questions 1.8l vs. 1.1l?

Hello. I'm new to pwc's and leaning toward Yamaha, 2011 or 2012. I like the models with the cruiser seats. I'm looking for low maintainence, high reliability, and a good all around family fun machine that holds three passengers well and tows well. I don't think that I want to deal with a super charger and will likely not be modding. Use will be calmish fresh water. Rough water would be a very rare occurance. I have a question about towing water skiers. Will any of these machines tow a 250+ lb adult water skier? If not I guess I might as well save some cash and go with a 1.1l VX Cruiser. Or if the 1.8 makes it possible, then it would be worthy of consideration. Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by wengr View Post
    Hello. I'm new to pwc's and leaning toward Yamaha, 2011 or 2012. I like the models with the cruiser seats. I'm looking for low maintainence, high reliability, and a good all around family fun machine that holds three passengers well and tows well. I don't think that I want to deal with a super charger and will likely not be modding. Use will be calmish fresh water. Rough water would be a very rare occurance. I have a question about towing water skiers. Will any of these machines tow a 250+ lb adult water skier? If not I guess I might as well save some cash and go with a 1.1l VX Cruiser. Or if the 1.8 makes it possible, then it would be worthy of consideration. Thanks in advance.
    You can never have too much power...I have a 160hp FX HO and it pulls skiers just fine (I too didn't want any Supercharger issues and wanted good gas milage). The 1.8 are good engines, plus the resale will always be better with the 1.8

Just look online for a used 1.8 and save yourself some $$ (Just a side opinion, but jetski's will never pull skiers very well, the sdie to side movement will jerk the ski a bit, it's a rather uncomfortable riding experiance, pulling tubes on the other hand is a blast..)

If it were me, i'd get the FX HO, the extras you get are worth it..

+1
    The question is, will it be enjoyable... it depends on how experienced and athletic the water skier is, upper body strength, etc.
    You might get a 250 lb. skier out of the water, but it's not going to be like getting towed behind a nice ski boat. Personal Watercraft are just that; they are only 12 feet long and really best for one rider. Some of these younger athletic types do pretty well on skis or wakeboards with them. So yes they have the power, but when you get a 250 pounder hanging off a rope and cross-jumping wakes they tend to shift around; if you tow a skier you are likely going to want to have a spotter on back, now that's three people. Now with a smaller skier like 125-150 lb teenager, it's going to be a more enjoyable experience but at the end of the day PWC are still better for towing light-weight riders and kids on tubes. I would still opt for the bigger engine. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

+1
    Just for recreational purposes you would be fine but there really isnt any serious skiing (wakeboarding, etc.) to be had by way of PWC. They have plenty of power to pull even the larger bodied people but the craft just isnt as stable as a boat in that respect so you get some rear end sway. Just to have some fun on a low end towable level you'll be perfectly happy and enjoy the hell out of it but you wont get the same as you're getting out of a wakeboat. They create better wake, have ski towers, etc. It's more about stability and setup than anythng with that stuff. Tubing is pretty much just as fun on a PWC though.

Thanks to all. I had suspected that the skiing experience if even possible would be subpar. I'm really starting to lean towards the larger engine and hull of the fx ho anyway. That's probably the way I'll go if a good deal presents itself. I do however wish Yamaha would publish hp or thrust specs.

+1
    Skiing is very much possible, I've done it quite a few times as well as wakeboarding, etc. It's just not the same as being behind a boat and the ski has more side to side give which a boat doesnt.

+1
    You will be fine but like everyone else said it will be different than towing with a boat. I have towed tubes behind my ski and last weekend towed a very experienced rider on a wake skate who said it was way better than being towed behind the boat because the wake wasn't as big. There was no issue pulling him out of the water from a stand still. Just for reference, my ski is a 2008 STX15.

Thread Information