Question for Triton trailer owners

I recently purchased a Triton Elite WCII trailer. My question how do you know when the axles need grease and what brand of grease do you recommend? The Triton website just give a generic grease discription.

+1
    Welcome to GreenHulk.
    Copied from Tritons web site.

How often should I grease my axle?"
    The axle companies that we work with suggest lubrication at least once every 1000 miles or 3 months of use. Several factors like temperature, loads, and speeds while hauling are all variables in grease breakdown and wear. Inspection of grease condition and/or lack of grease before and after long trips is a nice way to keep track of the grease.

"What kind of grease needs to be used for the bearing system?"
    Triton uses a high speed axle grease that is a lithium complex type of thickener. There are a number of approved brands that make a bearing grease that can hold up very well for trailer uses. Below are the specifications for this lithium complex grease that should be used.

- Thickener Type: Lithium Complex
    - Dropping point: 215 C (419 F) Minimum
    - Consistency: NLGI No. 2
    - Additives: EP, Corrosion & Oxidation Inhibitors
    - Viscosity Index: 80 minimum

"Do I need a spring loaded add-on bearing cap?"
    NO, you already have a better system than that now. All Triton trailers have a grease system built into the axle and hubs that flows the grease past both inner and outer bearings and out. You effectively flush out the used grease when you push the grease through. The after market spring loaded add-on caps to the hubs really only tell you the grease level inside. This will only give the good grease, at best, to the front bearing not the inner bearing. This is why in the past you burnt out the inner bearing, the inner bearing got the second hand used grease.

+1
    on the triton`s there is a weep hole on the back side of the axle you need to put grease in until you see it come out of the hole if it is new you need to do it when you get it as I bet your dealer did not do this it could take 15-30 pumps before it comes out if it has not been done before

+1
    +1

+1
    I've always found it quite curious that the system Triton uses allows spent grease to be released out to possibly make it's way onto the roadway surface.

After some reseach I found the recommended grease manufactures for the Triton trailer axles.

http://dexteraxle.com/i/u/6149609/f/...rings_1-12.pdf

Thanks for the headsup. As you said I found that it took close to 30 pumps on the grease gun to see the old grease out the weep hole.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by troyheb View Post
    Welcome to GreenHulk.
    Copied from Tritons web site.

How often should I grease my axle?"
    The axle companies that we work with suggest lubrication at least once every 1000 miles or 3 months of use. Several factors like temperature, loads, and speeds while hauling are all variables in grease breakdown and wear. Inspection of grease condition and/or lack of grease before and after long trips is a nice way to keep track of the grease.

"What kind of grease needs to be used for the bearing system?"
    Triton uses a high speed axle grease that is a lithium complex type of thickener. There are a number of approved brands that make a bearing grease that can hold up very well for trailer uses. Below are the specifications for this lithium complex grease that should be used.

- Thickener Type: Lithium Complex
    - Dropping point: 215 C (419 F) Minimum
    - Consistency: NLGI No. 2
    - Additives: EP, Corrosion & Oxidation Inhibitors
    - Viscosity Index: 80 minimum

"Do I need a spring loaded add-on bearing cap?"
    NO, you already have a better system than that now. All Triton trailers have a grease system built into the axle and hubs that flows the grease past both inner and outer bearings and out. You effectively flush out the used grease when you push the grease through. The after market spring loaded add-on caps to the hubs really only tell you the grease level inside. This will only give the good grease, at best, to the front bearing not the inner bearing. This is why in the past you burnt out the inner bearing, the inner bearing got the second hand used grease.
    Quote Originally Posted by shhr View Post
    on the triton`s there is a weep hole on the back side of the axle you need to put grease in until you see it come out of the hole if it is new you need to do it when you get it as I bet your dealer did not do this it could take 15-30 pumps before it comes out if it has not been done before
    Great info! I've had Tritons for 5 years & never knew about the weep hole. I've been giving my WC2-2 about five pumps a couple times a year, & it took about 30pumps to push the old grease out the back of the hub. A little water came out as well but it wasn't rusty, so at least that's good. Guess I'll be replacing the bearings before next summer, just in case.

Triton has a grease private labeled for use in the axles however any good marine grease, synthetic grease or hi temp bearing grease is acceptable. The key with the "sure lube" hub system clean grease and keeping water out by way of keeping it FULL of grease that will allow the system to flow grease to the bearings both inner and outer.

It would need to be a completely sealed system for that not to be a possibility. I wish they did offer an option like that but the cost is very high. I run the trailers thousands of miles a year and have yet to spill a drop but I thought the same thing.

Thread Information