replacing impeller and wear ring on 04 RXP question about pump housing fins?

so I ordered a impeller from SBT and got a new wear ring from the seadoo dealership.

got the impeller out today without using a special tool or anything,
    got the wear ring out and I can see fins in the acual impeller housing that are a little knicked, any problem with this? what should i do? (this is the alum. housing im talking about)

also there is the plastic fins in the shoe i think its called? where the shaft comes out from that are chewed up also? what should I do with these?

ive read to just grind the plastic ones down and shouldnt have a problem with cavitation but how about the alum. ones in the housing?

this is really getting on my nerves ive had the ski for the past 3 years and ive probably takin it out to the lake maybe 3 times without cavitation and that was after I got the impeller and wear ring replaced at the dealership for a outrageous price! that is why i am trying to do this all myself from now on.

is there something we are doing wrong what causes all these problems with the pump? what should i look out for?

also is there any problem that would be caused from the impeller cone? both the green pointy one and the black rubber one? the rubber one was flipped inside out when i took the pump out this time and the green big one looks like it has some dings around the edge from a screw driver from someone trying to take it off.

from what I can see from the pump diagram for parts on the OE parts store on here, it looks like there is a rubber seal between the impeller housing and the hull? #2 in the propulsion system-external picture looks like that is missing on my pump? or i just dont know where to look!

other then not being able to punch it out of the hole this is a amazing ski! get to about 65-70 easy on clear water

thanks alot for any help appriciate it alot!

I can't comment on the fins in your pump housing.. someone else will chime in..

As far as the plastic fins on the pump shoe, if they are really chewed up go ahead and cut them off and grind/sand them down and call it a day
    The black rubber impeller cone should either be lock-tited to the impeller or you can ditch it all together if you ride freshwater ONLY
    Was there any sign of water intrusion when you pulled the pointy nose cone to remove the impeller? If not then dont worry about the dings on that..
    Not having a seal for the pump housing can cause cavitation also.. it may still be stuck on the pump support if its not on the pump housing, if not get one ordered

Quote Originally Posted by AReiter View Post
    I can't comment on the fins in your pump housing.. someone else will chime in..

As far as the plastic fins on the pump shoe, if they are really chewed up go ahead and cut them off and grind/sand them down and call it a day
    The black rubber impeller cone should either be lock-tited to the impeller or you can ditch it all together if you ride freshwater ONLY
    Was there any sign of water intrusion when you pulled the pointy nose cone to remove the impeller? If not then dont worry about the dings on that..
    Not having a seal for the pump housing can cause cavitation also.. it may still be stuck on the pump support if its not on the pump housing, if not get one ordered

thanks for the info, i have the whole pump off of the ski and the two pieces apart is it suppose to be a big round black rubber seal or what? im sure i dont have it, called the local dealer they have one in stock im gonna pick it up when i pick up the wear ring.

so i shouldnt have a problem with the boot thing if im in fresh water?

Yup, one big seal just as big in diameter as the pump is..

If your riding freshwater only then you dont need the impeller nose cone

Can you tell me what that boot/cone is for?

it keeps water out of the impeller/driveshaft splines so they dont rust together. In fresh water it shouldnt be a problem but salt water will make them rust together real bad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman_gq View Post
    it keeps water out of the impeller/driveshaft splines so they dont rust together. In fresh water it shouldnt be a problem but salt water will make them rust together real bad.

i have quick question my 2004 rxp is caveating a little like his. basically have to ease into the throttle or else the motor just rev high until it catches. kind of like a bad clutch on a car. know I'm going to do a new impeller and wear ring but someone else said that i should do the jet pump seal? and one think yea or no? also anything else i should look for? thanks in advance.

Thread Information