Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Does it really matter OIL

Hello All

Just trying to find out as much as I can.

Does it really matter what type of oil that I need to use in my honda aquatrax's???

And does it really matter what brand of oil filter I use???

Thanks in advance

If you mean can you use cheap no name brand standard oil No you cant or shouldn't if you want your boat to last long. This is not a lawn mower or your grandpa's 1985 Honda Civic. There are very close tolerance ball bearings in the tubo, close tolerance cam and crank bearings and you dont want any of those to fail.

If you mean do you have to buy Honda oil, NO you dont. ROTELLA make a very good quality and affordable oil for our skis. As for filters I have not done much research on them YET but I would NOT buy a Fram if they make one. I would go with the Honda or a Amsoil or Kendall if they are available.

What this video series on filters, it's an eye opener.

+1
    See my other post on your thread about sinking your ski.

I have read on here that some use Amsoil and some use Shell Rotella T6.
    Does it have to be synthetic or is it recommended??
    Does it have to be be OEM filter or is it recommended???

+1
    Many use aftermarket filters but I prefer the OEM Honda due to the very high oil pressure at startup. The T6 is cheap and works great because it has buffers in it for turbodiesel trucks that like the turbo Hondas suffer from fuel dilution of the oil. It is quite easy to pull an extra quart out of a turbo that you did not put in...

Ok so I took it out to the lake today to see how it would do (NOT GOOD) I could slowly get it up to about 30 MHP then the oil warning light would come on. Turn it off and restart it and keep it around 25 MPH I could ride for some time. Any ideas???

Could it be?
    A. TOO much oil??
    B. Not enough oil??
    C. OIL FILTER??
    D. TOO thin of oil??
    E. Oil sending unit??
    F. Something else??
    HELP PLEASE

+1
    I have had a Honda for 7 years and never knew there was a dedicated oil warning light - please describe where it is?

Have you pulled/read the fault codes?

+1
    There are two oil warning sending units, one that puts it into the limp mode and one that shuts the engine off after 5-10 seconds. Are you sure there is enough oil in it?

Quote Originally Posted by energysolutions View Post
    I have had a Honda for 7 years and never knew there was a dedicated oil warning light - please describe where it is?

Have you pulled/read the fault codes?
    There isn't a light just for the oil, but the warning light starts flashing and the beep beep noise starts and the oil indecator on the dash flashes at the same time, it looks like a oil can just like on your car.

I have not pulled the codes because I don't know how to and don't know what the codes mean or where to find them yet but I'm sure there are some really nice and helpful people on here that would be glad to tell me where I could find a list of the codes and how to pull them. LOL It could just be that I need to clear the codes from the first time it set the code (not shore)
    Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by JRINJAX View Post
    There are two oil warning sending units, one that puts it into the limp mode and one that shuts the engine off after 5-10 seconds. Are you sure there is enough oil in it?
    I would say it goes into limp mode cause it will still run but sputters. I'm not really sure if there is enough oil cause I'm not sure of how to correctly check the oil leval. I've tried pulling the dipstick from the top/fill hole and put it in the bottom hole and it reads good maybe a little over. I'm lost without a manual and it sucks bad.
    Thanks for the reply and the help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information