About to buy a ski... When to buy warranty?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a 2012 RXT-X, but I have a question about buying the SeaDoo "BEST" extended warranty.

I read an older post on this forum when I was searching for info that said you don't have to buy the warranty when you purchase the ski... you just have to do it before the original 1 year warranty expires. Does this still hold true with the current skis?

Also, what should I be looking for in terms of the best price for the longest warranty possible (I think the longest is an additional 4 years over factory)? I saw some on "an online auction site" for 900 or so, but I'm a bit leery of getting one on there. I just want to get an idea of what I should be paying so I don't get ripped off by a dealer.

Thanks!

+1
    Use the online price as a starting point and try to get the dealer to come close to it when making a deal on the ski.

So I would have to buy one up front with the ski you mean? Or are you just saying to try and use it as a bargaining point?

+1
    I think the best time to negotiate an extended warranty is when you are working on the price of the ski.
    Once you have him at his bottom number on the ski, offer him the online price for the BEST warranty, all he can say is no, them ask him to counter offer and keep working on the number until you are happy.
    Everything is open to negotiation, there is no set price that they have to sell the warranty for, but they are in busness to make money and cover overhead, so he has to make something.
    The online option is OK, but when it's the height of the season, and something goes wrong with your new ski, the dealer may remember where you bought the warranty when it comes time to schedule your repair, so buying it from the dealer is your best bet even if you have to pay a bit more for it.

Thank you for the insight. I will give that a shot.

What do you mean by the "online price"? Do you mean giving them the "auction website" price, or are you referring to a price listed somewhere on SeaDoo's site? I found their info about the warranty but it didn't mention any official MSRP pricing

Quote Originally Posted by gbest View Post
    I think the best time to negotiate an extended warranty is when you are working on the price of the ski.
    Once you have him at his bottom number on the ski, offer him the online price for the BEST warranty, all he can say is no, them ask him to counter offer and keep working on the number until you are happy.
    Everything is open to negotiation, there is no set price that they have to sell the warranty for, but they are in busness to make money and cover overhead, so he has to make something.
    The online option is OK, but when it's the height of the season, and something goes wrong with your new ski, the dealer may remember where you bought the warranty when it comes time to schedule your repair, so buying it from the dealer is your best bet even if you have to pay a bit more for it.

+1
    Yes, the online auction price.
    I don't know if there is an official MSRP for the warranty, but dealers usually ask top dollar for them, but keep working on him, don't be afraid to walk out and say you need to think about it.
    Is there more than one dealer in your area that you can use against the other?

Thread Information