Taking on water problem...almost sunk!

Out on the water yesterday cruising with some guys and all of a sudden, I slow down to see where one of the riders are and I start losing speed and look back to see I am starting to sink. I scrambled to get to a dock on shore and barely made it. Shut the motor down and jumped into the water. We bailed water out until the back end floated on its own. It was not taking on any more water once we bailed it out. We towed it (slowly) back to a boat launch and it did not take any more water on that way either. On the trailer we drained the rest of the water out and checked for hoses/clamps that may have come off. Nothing seems loose. We did notice that the catch can bracket had snapped clean off and the catch can was flopping around. Nothing else seems to be off. We checked the oil and it is ok. No milk.

Any suggestions as to what caused this?

ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!

Broken carbon seal? Thats what happened to mine. Get a bilge pump installed. Unfortunately, you and i both had to learn the hard way.

+1
    Dip it in the water and start it while on the trailer and look for leaks.
    Shut it off and pull the boot back and check the seal. It's an easy fix if so. Replace the boot at the same time as it loses the ability to keep the seal seated under hard launches.
    Spend $100 at Academy for an auto/on/off 1100gph rule, and $7 at O'Reilly's for a switch. Weeell worth it.
    I run an additional 1100 (not auto) from an auxiliary power source with an Oh Sh*t switch under the seat in case the first one can't keep up. Overkill? I hope so.

What causes that? How much water did you take on? Is it a warranty part? (sorry so many questions) Just want to know as much as I can so it doesn't happen again!

Quote Originally Posted by rxt260_IS View Post
    Broken carbon seal? Thats what happened to mine. Get a bilge pump installed. Unfortunately, you and i both had to learn the hard way.

Thanks for the info...bilge is on the list for SURE. Wouldn't want that to happen ever again..

Quote Originally Posted by Mothman View Post
    Dip it in the water and start it while on the trailer and look for leaks.
    Shut it off and pull the boot back and check the seal. It's an easy fix if so. Replace the boot at the same time as it loses the ability to keep the seal seated under hard launches.
    Spend $100 at Academy for an auto/on/off 1100gph rule, and $7 at O'Reilly's for a switch. Weeell worth it.
    I run an additional 1100 (not auto) from an auxiliary power source with an Oh Sh*t switch under the seat in case the first one can't keep up. Overkill? I hope so.

You can search in the technical section for "carbon seal" or anything like that and you should come up with a bunch of info on this topic. Many of us have gone through the ol carbon seal failure crap and so there's plenty of info with different symptoms and causes etc.

Easy and cheap enough fix, as long as you didnt suck in a bunch of water into your engine - through the sunken air intake tubing.

+1
    I had the exact same symptoms on my old 2008 T-X, almost sank but bilge pump kicked on and allowed me to run full speed back to the ramp! I found that my 4" kanaflex hose was interfering with bellows, which in turn breaks the seal on the carbon ring allowing water to enter the ski. I bet you will find the kanaflex resting right on top of the bellows..........

Simple solution is to use a smooth 4" 90* elbow from the SC, rotated so as to not touch the bellows, and connect to the kanaflex with a 4" SS coupler.

See post #488 here for my setup and #473-488 for similar discussion: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...96#post1956196

This episode just made another believer about installing bilge pumps and emergency tow shutoff valve!

Verdict is I spun the prop off. No damage to the carbon seal and the engine is running with no problems internally. I don't know why the prop came off but at least there is not a whole lot of damage. New prop on the way.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Urwheelman View Post
    Verdict is I spun the prop off. No damage to the carbon seal and the engine is running with no problems internally. I don't know why the prop came off but at least there is not a whole lot of damage. New prop on the way.
    I hope you caught it in time before it melted your thrust washer, block ,and crank!

Had this happened to me and it took out my thrust bearing in the motor! HAVING THE PROP UNSCREW IS VERY BAD!!!!
    Ask me how I know. see this post of what it did to my engine!
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=176775

Thread Information