Thread: Handheld GPS

Handheld GPS

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to the forums. I have a 2000 Yamaha XL 800 and 2001 Kawasaki Ultra 130DI. I am interested in picking up a handheld gps. This is my first time shopping for one so I am new at this, and what to look for. I want something that is water proof, something that has a lot of water/bay/ocean maps. I am currently looking at the Magellan GPS eXplorist 310, which has a feature that shows you where you went and you can re-trace your steps on how to get back (Digital breadcrums). This one is seen here - (http://www.magellangps.com/Products/...-North-America).

What does everyone reccomend? Can you download anything on your computer from the GPS? I don't know if I am going to really attach it to the ski, or just look at it every so often. I want something good quality, doesn't have to have ever bell and whistle - but something that won't break the bank$. I do like the above Megallan. Also, I'd like something with descent battery life.

All opinions welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

+1
    As a comparison, you should also look at a Garmin 76 Csx. Lots of bells and whistles, but can be found at good prices b/c they have been discontinued and upgraded to the 78 model. It will do everything you asked about and/or need. The maps, unfortunately, are not pre-loaded, but you can US Inland Lakes and that will give you everything you need for the whole lower 48. I've been using this model exclusively to interface w/my website as shown in my sig. below.

PS: Welcome to the 'hulk.

+1
    Where can you get the US lakes software? I could use it for My Garmin Map 62

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Yellow93 View Post
    Where can you get the US lakes software? I could use it for My Garmin Map 62
    I'm sure you can purchase/download it from Garmin's site http://www.garmin.com/us/ But I actually purchased mine from Cabella's. Prior to any purchase, be sure to verify that the map you're buying is compatible w/the unit you own. Maps aren't cheap. Additionally, I use Garmin's MapSource (MS) to create routes/trails/trips. But I now see that Garmin also has some software named "Base Camp" and "Home Port". Both sound interesting to me, but MS in conjunction w/US Inland Lakes has taken care of all of my needs.

Thread Information