1998 slth surges?

Had my 98 slth out today ran fine for the first hour but all of a sudden started to lose power and when go to wide open throttle it would die down then act like it wanted to take off and just kept on doing this like it wasn't getting fuel like it was surging then would let it sit for a little and started back out it would run ok but then start the surging again. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump am I right? The ski still has original fuel lines on it like I said ran like a bat out of hell for the first hour .The only other thing is thinking about it now there was alot of grass on the river could I have sucked some of that up and it done something thanks fo the help in advance

Banned User
    +1
    Check the pump area, also check your fuel tank vents for proper operation.

exactly how would the fuel vents effect the surging and why would it be ok for the first hour then just start doing this and how do you check them working properly

Banned User
    +1
    There is one fuel vent that holds 1.5 PSI pressure. The other vent allows air into the tank to compensate for the fuel level going down. If that valve is not working, as the fuel level goes down a vacuum is created in the tank, making the pump have to work against that and not be able to pump enough fuel.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you stop when the symptom occurs, crack open the gas cap to release pressure, retighten the gas cap and the problem goes away, then venting not working properly is the likely cause.

going to the river this weekend will try that . it ran good for the first hour then started to lose power then it would pick back up then as it went on would give it full throttle would die then act like it wanted to take off then die again until couldn't give it full throttle just had to limp back to shore and as I sat there then went back out seem alright but not the same then it would start it again What bee the easiest fix?

Thread Information