Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2010 STX15F overheating !!!

Hey guys, my cousins ski is doing some weird stuff. It will overheat and just shut off, sometimes with a warning light prior and sometimes it'll just shut off with no warning at all. He can cruise all day with no problem but sometimes when he starts to go fast it'll shut down, saying its overheating. Have you guys seen anything like this ? Could this be a faulty sensor or a blockage somewhere ?

Whenever the ski is acting up like that, warning light or engine shutting off, remove the seat and try to feel the engine with hand.
    If it's too hot to touch, then it is actually overheating.

+1
    Can anybody tell me if this ski has a pump strainer and where its located, also where the temp sensor is located so I can check for a loose connection.

+1
    I'm pretty sure the strainer is located on the top of the pump. Maybe find a fiche to confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by Fasttimez View Post
    Can anybody tell me if this ski has a pump strainer and where its located, also where the temp sensor is located so I can check for a loose connection.

Is the motor actually getting too hot?

Pump strainer is on the top of the pump where the two brass fittings are attached. Just remove the rectangular aluminm block piece and you will see it.

There are two temp sensors.

Oil temp sensor on the front bottom of the motor at the oil pan.

Water temp sensor on the exhaust pipe.

If the sensor got triggered, an error code would have been flashing on the meter. Was there?

+1
    What happens is the word HEAT starts to flash. The ski can be shut off and immediately started back up and all is good until the next WOT run and the same thing happens.

+1
    Can the strainer be removed without removing the pump ?

Rarely ever anthing gets cloggeed at the strainer because whenever the egnine stops running the derbis that got stuck there would be dropped down by the water since the strainer faces upward. Not only that, whenver flushes engine on garden hose, the debris gets pushed down (cooling water flow direction is reverse when running on garden hose). That will be the last place to check if I were you.

The strainer is the part (upper) of the pump. It is just bunch of drilled tiny holes (1~2 mm) on the top of the pump under the rectangular cover.
    Yes, you can remove the stainer cover w/o removing the pump but it's PIA and can't really see the strainer. You may be able to only feel the strainer area.
    Removing the pump is easy on 15F...

What you really need to do is when the ski overheats next time, you need to remove the seat and feel with your hand and find out what part of the engine/exhaust gets the hottest most. That will give you an idea what part of the cooling system is having the problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    Whenever the ski is acting up like that, warning light or engine shutting off, remove the seat and try to feel the engine with hand.
    If it's too hot to touch, then it is actually overheating.
    OK, so I was riding here in the burg last weekend...with this record heat our river temps are approaching records 82 F+

Should I be concerned about heat since the 300 is open loop cooling? Anyone ride in really warm water conditions?

You should be fine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information