Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

2 questions on conversions

1) Where are you guys exiting your water (open loop) from the oil cooler and the head? I have the oil cooler going out the bottom of the ski and the head going up a slight incline out the back up under the grab arm. Don't like it. What are you guys doing?

2) I found some oil residue on the floor of the garage after I started up my ski and gave it some gas to get the water out. After it dried up looked more like exhaust phlem than oil, but unsure. How do you check the oil cooler to make sure its good to go?

Thanks,

+1
    Thanks WFO,

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by shooter98xpl View Post
    1) Where are you guys exiting your water (open loop) from the oil cooler and the head? I have the oil cooler going out the bottom of the ski and the head going up a slight incline out the back up under the grab arm. Don't like it. What are you guys doing?

2) I found some oil residue on the floor of the garage after I started up my ski and gave it some gas to get the water out. After it dried up looked more like exhaust phlem than oil, but unsure. How do you check the oil cooler to make sure its good to go?

Thanks,
    1. My oil cooler exits at a bildge fitting on the left side of the transom. The water exiting the head goes straight out the back towards the right side thru one of the transoms factory fittings.

2. I have found no way to test a factory oil cooler, and Ive had my share of bad ones before I put a restrictor into the water line going into the cooler. I believe thats what takes them out is high water pressure. Ive tried pressure testing them, they hold pressure great, put it in the ski and have a mess in the water. Sometimes you are able to look in the water line on the cooler and you can actually see where its milky. Ive only had one oil cooler actually contaminate the engine oil, the other 3 just took the oil right out the drain and you could see a film around the ski of oil. Here is a pic of my conversion with the oil mess comming out my bildge fitting on the side of the transom.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	oil mess.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	276512  

+1
    Thanks V! I just drilled a hole in the back of the ski and put the riva fitting back there. All is good now, the water drains down from the head and not up like I use to have. Hope this will do something with my heat issue.
    SHOOTER

+1
    Thanks V! I just drilled a hole in the back of the ski and put the riva fitting back there. All is good now, the water drains down from the head and not up like I use to have. Hope this will do something with my heat issue.
    SHOOTER
    I also took out my thermostat, our water temps have been in the lower 90's....

+1
    SHOOTER
    Definately need to restrict water going into the oil cooler. If your seeing any oil coming out of the water outlet its already shot.

+1
    Yeah, WFO pointed the restrictor to me and I already have it installed. I will run it this weekend and look back there to see if it is leaking. Thanks for the heads up guys.
    I've just been chasing a 400 rpm loss on the ski and heat issues, so I am hoping what I have done will resolve the issues.

+1

+1
    And remember, this is happening to closed loop skis too.

Seen a couple of posts on the RIVA forum and here where people found oil in their coolant reservoir.
    ex. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=170167
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=135451

For an open loop ski, if you swab that outlet line with something, and it comes out milky, it has a leak.

See the bilge outlet, notice the rainbow residue.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1-3.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	117.3 KB 
ID:	276574
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo1-2.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	108.9 KB 
ID:	276573  

+1
    Thanks RX951, I was trying to do it my air compressor. I capped one end and pressurized the other with air and was hoping to hear air coming out thru the oil passages. It just held pressure, put it in the ski and bam, oil leak. Maybe your way is the only way to do it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information