Thread: Jet Pump Rebuid

Jet Pump Rebuid

New owner to PWC, bought a Polaris sl 780 with a bad jet pump and attempting a rebuild. Got it out and apart and found the following problems, Bearing to the stub shaft bad, stub shaft has major wear because of running with bearing problem, stator pump has chunks missing from blades either from cavitation or debris, and stator pump housing for bearing seems worn caused by running with bad bearing???. I guess I need to know the following, I am assuming the stub shaft needs replacing, the bearing on the stubshaft and any related parts also. I am wondering about the condition of the stator pump with the chunks broken off the blades and the internals where the bad bearing seems to have worn the inside of the stator pump. I do not care about loss of a little thrust so can I use the stator pump in this condition without problems. In your opinion, given the info above, what is the recommended parts for this rebuid including any related o-rings, seals, other bearings etc. Do these parts come in kits or do I buy individually or ??? I am new to PWC but not new to mechanical work. Need help, not sure what to do . Thanks much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0099.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	276337Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0098.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	97.4 KB 
ID:	276339 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0097.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	84.9 KB 
ID:	276338

Banned User
    Milwaukee WI
    That stator is junk. I would not run it. Just find a used one in good condition. You can probably get one that's good and ready to go as well.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    near Toronto, Canada
    See my signature links for info on what parts are needed and where to source them.

If the impeller blades outer edges have been worn down from running with bad bearings then it will need replacement or refurbishing. Also check the wear ring that surrounds the impeller for wear or damage. Excess blade clearance will reduce thrust significantly.

I agree that an entire replacement pump may be the sensible answer.

Looking for a new stator as well as a new stub shaft, going to measure the clearance on the impeller. Is there a bearing kit including all seals, is thera a recommended upgrade kit now that I am in this far? What else should I do??

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    you can get a complete bearing kit from SBT or any good independent shop can get the same thing from WSM (the carry the impeller shaft as a third party replacement) for a bit less. Carful putting it all back together..the water outlet from the pump is kinda fragile and can be broken if you aren't cautious

Thread Information