Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

yamaha pwc ran aground...

Well I haven't even had these things a week (2012 yamaha vx deluxe with maybe 2 hours on them) and I ran one around the other day. Embarrassed as I have been using these water ways for 10 years. IT wasn't enough to stop the ski, IT was maybe in 5 inches of water. Im just worried about how much sand I sucked up through the impeller. Our water is clean, no rocks or seaweed, but I know sand had to go through the impeller. It seemed to run fine, it vibrates a little more, but I may have just been paying attention more because Im worried about it. But WE took it right home, I flushed them both out with salt away and noticed my one still pees out the side port, and this one does not. So Im left with what do I check to make sure everything is ok? Dealer doesn't have time to look at it for almost 2 weeks and It would really suck to be off the water that long. Thanks guys!
    Last edited by rollin thunder; 07-05-2012 at 04:45 PM.

+1
    Well getting sand into your prop once or twice won't do anything but if you do it repeatedly then it will eventually start eating away at the prop. On the issue with water not coming out of the pisser, I would take the ski to the local ramp put just the pump alone in the water and see if it water is coming out the ports. Also give it a good rev to blow out anything that may have gotten stuck in the cooling lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterholics View Post
    Well getting sand into your prop once or twice won't do anything but if you do it repeatedly then it will eventually start eating away at the prop. On the issue with water not coming out of the pisser, I would take the ski to the local ramp put just the pump alone in the water and see if it water is coming out the ports. Also give it a good rev to blow out anything that may have gotten stuck in the cooling lines.
    Ok thanks! I will give that a shot. The drive back to the ramp was a good 30 min so I would hope that it would blow out, If its clogged what do I need to do? Thanks!

When the Ski is on the Trailer, look into the Pump with a flashlight and look for ANY debris in there. Even a strand or two of seaweed can cause some cavitation / vibration. I would look into the Pump from both ends (you will have to get under the Ski to look into the front part of the pump). My rule of thumb is to not have the engine running if you are in less than "knee deep" water.

well I gave the front of the impeller a good look and its clean as a whistle. I have sort of looked behind. Im trying to figure out away to get under there with my impact and undo the intake grate to give it a good inspection. My question is how can I check if the cooling system is clogged? Is that right behind the intake or is it actually in the ski?

+1
    If you take it to the lake and no water is coming out the pisser then that rules out everything and you will know if it's clogged for sure.

+1
    rollin thunder: the thing is, you might not have enough water pressure on the hose to make that pisser work right, so that's why you are being advised to put the ski in the water or at least back it down the ramp on the trailer; mine work well with the skis sitting in the water on the trailer. But I would avoid running across the lake or anything, if you have a blockage you don't want to overheat.

Its done it before on the hose, Also the other one does it easy. Thats why Im worried about a clog. I appreciate the help guys. I will try and get them down to the water sometime today or tomorrow, before the weekend rush gets in to full swing again.

OK I just got back from dunking them in the water. Blue one seems to pee nice and strong. Red one does have flow, but it just drips it doesn't have a solid stream so I would be willing to get its clogged some where. Now I just need to figure out how to find the clog and clear it, any help/suggestions would be very much appreciated.

K so heres what the jet drive looks like.

There really wasn't anything to clean out. Nothing on either side of the drive....

and this is just a guess but is this the coolant intake? if so whats a good way to try and clean it out? IM trying to see if I can get a hold of a shop vac attachment small enough to fit in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information