Blown battery fuse

Ok, What I know about jet ski repair is next to NOTHING. I have a 2003 Polaris Virage I that I bought new, has VERY low hours on it. This year I forgot to remove battery at seasons end, and battery was dead. Bought a new battery today, but when I hooked it up, nothing. I found that the 15 amp fuse for the battery was blown. Replaced and hooked up, blew the fuse again. Have now tried four times, and each time I hook it up, blows a fuse. What do I try now?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is (or was) the battery polarity connected backwards?

Yes, my son was trying to do me a "favor" and had positive to neg, neg to positive

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum50 View Post
    Yes, my son was trying to do me a "favor" and had positive to neg, neg to positive
    Well, you may have multiple problems. Let's start with the least expensive;

Unplug the small 2-pin connector into the start solenoid. See if the fuse no longer blows. If fuse stays good then replace the start solenoid. These solenoids have a diode inside that can fail if polarity is reversed and you attempt to crank the engine.

See my signature links for more info on these solenoids.

I will check it later this evening. We yanks are having a 4th of July cookout, minus jet ski I guess! It's 100 degrees now so I am willing to wait a while. The owners manual shows the starter solenoid to the left of the battery. is this on the wakk near the fuse boxes, ..Like I said, I know nothing about repairs, and the small black and white drawing is not a lot of help.

I will check it later this evening. We yanks are having a 4th of July cookout, minus jet ski I guess! It's 100 degrees now so I am willing to wait a while. The owners manual shows the starter solenoid to the left of the battery. is this on the wakk near the fuse boxes, ..Like I said, I know nothing about repairs, and the small black and white drawing is not a lot of help.
    I do know that it was not from trying to start the engine, it has never shown anything on the MFD display, the fuse has blown before I have had a chance to start the engine or look at the display.

+1
    I do know that it was not from trying to start the engine, it has never shown anything on the MFD display, the fuse has blown before I have had a chance to start the engine or look at the display.
    The solenoid diode short, if that is what happened, would occur the very first time the Start button was pressed with the battery polarity reversed.

After that, the shorted solenoid would blow the fuse when the Start button is pressed, even with correct battery polarity.

If you are saying the fuse blows as soon as you replace the fuse and reconnect the battery then something other than the solenoid has (also) failed.

Next step is to disconnect and bypass the LR Start/Stop module. Instructions via my signature links.

Also unplug the MFI display and bypass that too.

If fuse still immediately blows with both LR module and MFI disconnected then I would be suspecting the EMM main computer module

if fuse stops blowing, reconnect MFI display with LR module still bypassed. This should lead you to the problem.

Thread Information