1996 Kawasaki 1100zxi will not start

I have a 1996 Kawasaki 1100ZXI, it will not start at all. I have changed the starter and the starter relay, voltage regulator, main wiring harness, the two black boxes under the dash and I have absolutely no power to the start switch. If I jump the start switch, the starter will turn, but will not crank. What could the problem be?

+1
    If you hear the starter spinning but not engaging the motor it's probably the Bendix, also called the starter drive. A common failure on older skis and not too hard of a repair. Pull the seven bolts off of the stator cover[no need to unhook or remove oil pump and lines] pull flywheel and replace. You will need a special puller to pull the flywheel. When you reinstall cover be sure oil pump tang is lined up with the slot in the flywheel bolt.

If you have to jump the starter button to get it to crank you probably have a secondary issue. If just jumping the stater button gets it to crank then I would suspect the button. Should be a simple power in- power out check. As to the "black boxes under the dash', I am not sure what you are talking about, need more info....Steve

Bad start stop button? Take it aprt see if its getting connection.

+1
    Look for corrosion in the wiring harness connectors. Kawasakis are bad about getting water in the connectors and corroding the contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Look for corrosion in the wiring harness connectors. Kawasakis are bad about getting water in the connectors and corroding the contacts.
    Had that happen on my ZXI, a connector corroded so bad that the wire broke right off of it. It was a simple fix once I hunted it down.

Had 2 corrosion issues on mine as well. If you are an aggressive rider or in a lot of chop, those hulls get damp for sure. If you can get your hands on it, put chemsearch nc-123 plus on all your connectors. it will take about an hour to hit all of them, but it is a fantastic product.

Thread Information