Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

0 Hours....Wear Ring Dislodged 2012 RXT-X-260

Brand New 2012 SeaDoo RXT-X-260 launched in clean water, floated off trailer, started up and sounded funny but didn't know what it was (first time in the water). Began break-in procedure and machine had very little propulsion. Ran about 600 yards and started to operate better. Continued to ride and after about 10 minutes the engine temp alarm came on and machine died. Got towed in and loaded it on trailer. First thing I noticed was little chips missing from impeller, then I saw the wear ring sideways cocked and significant wear in it. Less than 15 minutes on this machine and the dealer tells me it may not be warranty as I may have sucked a stone or object. Looking for a little bit of help here as its brand new and I've been told that sucking a stone will certainly damage an impeller but Is it true that wear rings are pressed in? Do they come loose? Has anyone ever had this happen?

-Dave

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (33).jpg 
Views:	1189 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	276360

+1
    Wear rings are cheap. Impellers not so much....
    I would be more worried about that high temp alarm. It means you blocked/clogged the pump discharge line(little screen area in your jet pump that cools exhaust manifold). Make sure the line from that to the iBR is secure. Take pictures of everything. Dealer won't warrenty if you ran over rocks and trashed your pump. Some older skis I had to throw an anti-rotation screw into the wear ring to keep from spinning.

3. +1 by:

Thanks, I'm just collecting info and thoughts from other guys because its going to the dealer tomorrow (today being July 4th). Hopefully, they will do their due diligence on this and refrain from finger pointing because I want it taken care of (5-Yr Warranty) and I don't want this to be a regretful purchase of a SeaDoo.

+1
    I have never seen or heard of a wear ring getting dislodged but I guess it could happen.
    Looking at where the impeller is damaged I would say something got sucked up.
    As long as you did not run it after the high temp alarm came on I would think the motor will be ok.

Oh and welcome to GreenHulk.

6. +1 by:

Looking at Youtube, it seems like a small project to remove one of these wear rings. Appears that they are not supposed to be loose but this one I can move freely.

+1
    Hi temp went off because it wasn't pulling enough water thru the pump because of the wear ring and impeller not working right.
    Ive heard of stealerships warranty a wear ring.
    Sounds like it wasn't set up correctly from the stealership....

+1
    Wear ring shouldn't move if installed correctly.

+1
    Clearly something WAS sucked up into the impeller and really jammed the impeller up against the wear ring. It appears the wear ring is pushed into the pump housing. I suspect the pump housing and vanes, bearings are going to be severally damaged, and will have to be replaced also. The warranty does not cover stuff like this BUT, your dealership hopefully will step up and cover it for you!

The temp alarm came from a lack of water getting from the pump. Probably from the debris that was sucked up.

These ski's are vacuum cleaners and should NOT be started in water less than 3' depth.

Sorry for the aggravation!

It's at the dealer now and we're gonna find out if anything was sucked up. I was in 3' of water and pushed off before starting it, and also idled out to deeper water. I'm really anxious to find out what happened. Does anyone know what pressure is necessary when installing a wear ring?

Thanks,
    DC

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    Clearly something WAS sucked up into the impeller and really jammed the impeller up against the wear ring. It appears the wear ring is pushed into the pump housing. I suspect the pump housing and vanes, bearings are going to be severally damaged, and will have to be replaced also. The warranty does not cover stuff like this BUT, your dealership hopefully will step up and cover it for you!

The temp alarm came from a lack of water getting from the pump. Probably from the debris that was sucked up.

These ski's are vacuum cleaners and should NOT be started in water less than 3' depth.

Sorry for the aggravation!

+1
    Could the high temp alarm come from blocked intake after the wear ring started to get ground up? All that plastic had to go somewhere.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information