Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Friggin Powervalve Failure!! Need some input on extent of damage (pics inside)

Happy July 4th...not so happy for me.

Was out on the lake today, anchored the ski for a bit while I saw. Waves were rocking the ski a bit for a while, went to get back on and hit the starter "CLICK". Nothing. Got towed in and put it in the shop, did some digging around. Assumed it was the starter but as I got into it, saw I couldn't move the pistons with a screwdriver. Popped the heads and jugs, bummer. Powervalve on the forward cylinder looks like it broke off at the head.

I had planned to order some wave eater clips, just hadn't got around to it.

I need some input from someone a bit more advanced then me on the extent of the damage.

At a minimum the front cylinder obviously needs a new piston and ring set. Jugs seems to be okay, some light scratching, little honing should take care of it?

1) Some damage to the inside of the head where the valve dropped in (see pics), do I need to replace head - seal area doesn't look damaged, I'm wondering if it's worth trying to install to see if I have compression or do I need to just replace it.

2) There doesn't appear to be a powervalve in the rear cylinder. It looks like it was removed. Rather than buy two new powervalves, can I just run the ski without the powervalves?

3) crank and crankcase doen't appear to be damaged. Little bit of shavings in the bottom of the crankcase, but otherwise turns freely. Any precautions I need to take before installing the jugs again? Oil, etc?

4) going to order the piston and ring set from SBT. They have a standard and .5mm. Assuming if I've just honing the cyclinder I should stick with the standard size??

any other comments or insight - always welcome and appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0555.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	102.8 KB 
ID:	276365Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0556.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	276366Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0558.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	95.8 KB 
ID:	276367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0559.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	276368Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0562.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	276369

The cylinders look to be already sleeved. You will need to have the cylinders measured and determine if they are within spec after you hone them. if they need to much cleaning up then you can bore them. do not get them bored without new pistons in hand. First determine if they are already sleeved. Also you will need to install new power valves. How many hours on the clock?

+1
    That sucks.. I've been there quite a few times.... Like wavedude said, " make sure you have the pistons in hand first before ya bore" Good luck, ya can fix it.. J.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedude View Post
    The cylinders look to be already sleeved. You will need to have the cylinders measured and determine if they are within spec after you hone them. if they need to much cleaning up then you can bore them. do not get them bored without new pistons in hand. First determine if they are already sleeved. Also you will need to install new power valves. How many hours on the clock?
    Thanks for the info. 217 hours on the ski. So it looks like I was running without a powervalve in the rear cylinder (apparently someone just removed it) - can this cause any damage?

does the head look ok to reuse?

+1
    Hard to tell from the pics, but usually you can smooth/sand down the pitting and reuse it. You don't have to completely remove the pitting, just knock down the sharp/rough spots and get it as smooth as possible.

Banned User
    +1
    doesnt look like those are sleeved to me. look oem

Quote Originally Posted by thatdude596 View Post
    doesnt look like those are sleeved to me. look oem
    there are fins that stick below the bottom of the jug. That tell you anything or would OEM have that as well?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information