Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultra 150 water in hull

So I went riding today, finally ran great for about 2-3 hours...ran perfect with no problems. Than I noticed out of no where the power would drop like it wanted to die for a second than it would run fine. So i took it back to shore and popped the seat and there was water in the hull, probably about to the bottom of the battery. Not sure how water out of no where starting getting in there. So i pulled up on shore and drained it and tried running it again and it got water in the hull again. Any common areas to look for that full the ultra's hull with water? Thanks in advance guys.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    check the drive shaft bearing holder. Common leak point around this bit. There was an extended discussion on this issue. Find it with a quick search

I just went through that. You need to drive it with the seat off and look at the bearing holder to see if water is getting in through there.

+1
    as a universal troubleshooting bit...if the water in hull is hot..that's an engine leak..if the water is cool..it's a drive line leak or a leak in the main line that comes from the jetpump water outlet to the engine block. Lots of water on an ultra 150 has been the main bearing seal..or a ride plate bolt insert that has failed due to corrosion ( typical in salt water applications).

Not that it applies to kawasaki..but I had a sinker show up last week in a Polaris two stroke..turns out the pitot tube had come off the nipple and in short order that straw sized fitting filled the hull with water . Luckily this model had an electric bilge pump or it would have gotten really really ugly.

for diagnosis run it strapped down to your trailer in the water or do my patent pending leak detection ala cellphone by duct taping a bit of cardboard right below the bearing housing..it it's wet after a few minutes that's your leak. I'd be bold enough to bet breakfast on it..but captain's rules states that this bet has to be collected here in sunny New Mexico.

Okay I'm going to check the driveshaft bearing holder, but the water in the hull is hot. Any starting point to check for an engine leak? I guess I could run it off the hose and might be able to pin point where it's coming from. Sorry, I'm new to marine engines, but learning more and more everyday. I appreciate the help guys!

+1
    don't bother with the driveshaft bearing if the water is hot...you certainly have an engine leak. Best way to find it is starting with a dry hull and a REALLY bright flashlight. start the engine, start the water and try to see where it might be coming from. laying a couple of strategically placed shop rags might help pinpoint the area of the leak..sometimes you'll get a leak from a cylinder gasket that is hard to pinpoint..look for signs of water leakage/stains etc.

the leak has to be substantial and should be easy to spot, but limit hose run time to a few minutes unless the ski is sitting in water as the driveline bearings need to be submerged to keep em cool.

Okay thank you, I'll keep ya updated.

+1

Possible

I had a pin-hole in the water log on my Ultra-150.

The "water log" is a water cooling distribution block located at the back of the cylinder heads.

I attach a pic here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002-17.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	49.9 KB 
ID:	276503

I found a used water log on E-Bay from like Missouri or somewhere away from NaCl H2O and it proved to be fine for many years after. I was also able to conduct the R&R with the engine still seated firmly on its engine mounts.

Interesting tid-bit from Pete about cool or warm water in your hull. Those are the kinds of things you learn from doing. Someone once told me to take blue paper towels and wrap them around "suspected" areas and secure with some masking tape.

Go for a blast and look for a water "stained" paper towel, and there is your source of your leak.

Good Luck!!!

Also check all of your hoses to make sure one isn't warned through. I had the hose coming off the water log leak as it was hitting the drive shaft. Make sure that isn't the issue.

it was a dummy issue...a coolant discharge line came off one of the pissers...so it was just dumping into the hull. Just ordered the tripple pisser so i can visually monitor each cylinder...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information