Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

94 xp650 no spark issue

Hi, Im new to the forums, ive been poking around reading and searching, but this is my first post. I have a 94 xp650 that has been running good all summer so far, until sunday. I was out in the creek ski was running great, i hopped on to go for a ride and it wouldnt start. It was not getting any spark. I downloaded the FSM and followed the testing procedures for testing the MPEM, all my values were in the middle of the min/max range. I tested the saftey lanyard switch and stop button. they both passed the resistance test. the FSM shows a Special ignition tester, but the way to test with a DVM. There are no clear instuctions on testing the module, coil or magneto with the DVM. I am not getting power to the coil. also should there be power coming from the white wire out of the MPEM to the magneto and module or does the mag actually power that wire? The VTS is also not working, all the fuses check out good, there are no burn marks or bulges on the MPEM to indicate a fried circut. I am looking for a way to test the mag with the volt meter. Also would a new/used MPEM need to be programmed? Can that only be done at a seadoo dealer? Ive saw some online that claim to be universal and not need programming, but I'd like to know or sure before i start throwing parts at it guessing. any help would be appreciated, thanks

Rob

disconnect the black/red wire coming from the mpem but leave the other 2 wires connected.. That b/r wire coming from the mpem is the ignition kill wire..

Do you have spark??

You can test for resistance and AC voltage on the Black/Red wire coming from the engine magneto..

You can install a used, new or aftermarket mpem - they do not need to be programed...

Quote Originally Posted by KYHI View Post
    disconnect the black/red wire coming from the mpem but leave the other 2 wires connected.. That b/r wire coming from the mpem is the ignition kill wire..

Do you have spark??

You can test for resistance and AC voltage on the Black/Red wire coming from the engine magneto..

You can install a used, new or aftermarket mpem - they do not need to be programed...
    I disconnected the the b/r wire, still no spark. I checked the b/r wire but was looking for DC voltage. What should the resistance be, and should I go from that wire to ground, power or another wire looking for resistance and voltage?

on the black/red (magneto side) to engine ground - you are looking for 40-76 ohms..

and you are looking for AC voltage the same way - but while cranking...

And just to be clear - disconnect the black/red wire coming from the mpem but leave the other 2 wires (Magneto and coil) connected..

I'll try that when I get home, what am I looking for voltage wise while cranking? Thanks for the info, I'll let you know how it turns out.

on the black/red (magneto side) to engine ground - you are looking for 40-76 ohms..

and you are looking for AC voltage the same way - but while cranking...

And just to be clear - disconnect the black/red wire coming from the mpem but leave the other 2 wires (Magneto and coil) connected..
    I have 152 ohms on the black/red wire and 21.5-22.2 Ac volts while cranking. Does that mean the mag is dirty or corroded causing the increased resistance, or completly bad?

Based on what I've found online 141 Ac volts = 100 dc volts. Using that formula 21 volts from the mag should equal about 14.88 volts dc while cranking. That should be enough to power the ignition module and other electronics to produce a spark. What else can I test or look for? I'd rather test and repair or replace than blindly throw parts at it until it works. Even though the FSM says "sometimes part replacement is the only way to diagnose a problem"

Anyone?

you have twice the maximum resistance on the charging coil..

95 spx

you have twice the maximum resistance on the charging coil..
    I have a similar problem on a 95 spx the coil resistance is 72 Ohms and the ac voltage is 14 with no spark, the mpem connected to the black red wire produces 4 volts of power AC . I disconnected the mpem black red and it did not spark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information