97 XP Idles OK, Gets to top speed and slowly dies over 5-10 seconds

Hi Everyone,
    I have a 97XP with a strange issue. I think I found some explanation, but I need to do some troubleshooting. I took the ski into the ocean today. After a long no-wake zone I decided to go for a few blasts to get any water out (via the bailers). The ski came out of the hole great, but then started slowing down rapidly. I throttled the ski, but it did not matter. The ski just dies, but it will start up ad do the same again. Now, here is what I found so far:

-- Air in the oil lines. Not sure how this got there, but all my reading says this is a bad thing. Could flipping it cause this? I will check oil pump operation on the ski. If I cant tell, I will pull it off and use the drill test.
    -- I replaced the oil filter and fuel filter two seasons ago. No more than 50 hours on each. I heard this can happen from the fuel filter sucking air. Anyone have this issue on a 97 XP?
    -- I will get compression numbers later tomorrow. I can't swing a top end rebuild right now so this may put her away for a while.

The oil injection lines are original and I should replace them. Anyone know how hard this is on a 97XP? Any other suggestions for things to check?

Compression just checked: 140/160

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    sounds like its time for the carbs to be cleaned and rebuilt especially if its a salty boat. I hope you rinse it down when you are finished cause its gonna be a PIA to get apart if not. read the sticky on how to replace the fuel lines in the 2 stroke section. the oil injection lines need to be replaced. get something similar and then take a small oil pump can and refill the lines then reinstall. you will have to hold the oil pump open for a bit to make sure that all the lines are free of air pockets.

This is only my second outing in salt water. The ski typically stays in fresh. I really tried to do things right on this ski. New marine rated Goodyear lines, new fuel selector switch, drilled and welded new plugs into the exhaust, jet pump serviced, new starter, new voltage rectifier, new cooling system regulator, cleaned RAVE valves, tried a carb rebuild kit but still had a dead spot mid throttle so the ski has a new rack of carbs in it (ya, that was expensive).

The oil lines have air in them and I was able to easily pull both off the pump. I have some "Fuel and Lubricant Yellow Tygon PVC Tubing 3/32" ID" in my shopping cart now. I pulled the oil pump cable off the pump (this puts the pump in full on, correct?) but still did not see any oil movement in the lines. Is that normal? How long should an oil filter last? I maybe have 50-60 hours on this one.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikes88Stang View Post
    This is only my second outing in salt water. The ski typically stays in fresh. I really tried to do things right on this ski. New marine rated Goodyear lines, new fuel selector switch, drilled and welded new plugs into the exhaust, jet pump serviced, new starter, new voltage rectifier, new cooling system regulator, cleaned RAVE valves, tried a carb rebuild kit but still had a dead spot mid throttle so the ski has a new rack of carbs in it (ya, that was expensive).

The oil lines have air in them and I was able to easily pull both off the pump. I have some "Fuel and Lubricant Yellow Tygon PVC Tubing 3/32" ID" in my shopping cart now. I pulled the oil pump cable off the pump (this puts the pump in full on, correct?) but still did not see any oil movement in the lines. Is that normal? How long should an oil filter last? I maybe have 50-60 hours on this one.

your on the right track. my oil filter is original to my ski...never changed it. as for the oil pump you are correct. cable off is full on. you need a little oil pump can to fill the lines and then you can reinstall them. when you have air in the lines its difficult for the pump to push the air to the carbs. at least from my dealings. are the carbs brand new? or used? if they are used you may have to clean the filter screens again. or you may have clippings from the new lines you put in too.

Carbs are brand new straight from Bombardier.
    If there is no air in the line how can i tell if the pump is pushing oil?
    Do you have a link of something like the oil can you have used? I'm almost thinking a squeeze bottle would work too. I'm just not sure how the oil would react.
    Any ideas on what are typical compression numbers for this ski?

Back TTT hoping for some more info.

Just took the bleeder off the oil pump. Nothing came out. New oil filter tomorrow. Any other ideas? If I squeeze the line between the oil filter and oil pump (after the filter), oil does come out of the bleeder.

Nothing when bumping the starter either. This was with the oil cable off, so this should be full on. I was able to squeeze above the pump and get oil out. So, I pulled the oil cap just to be sure it was not the check valve. I may have seen a small amount of oil flowing, but nothing major. I am assuming with the bleeder all the way out, the oil flow should be very visible.

+1
    I would take the carbs off, take the oil pump off and run it with a drill. You then can see the oil spitting out the fittings into the intakes. Also take your raves off and see if you can see the sides of your pistons-are they scored?? If so you might have a seizure hence lack of oil. Post your findings.

Thread Information