SC on water, TT on land

Help with fuel pump wiring harness repair

As I was installing a new fuel pump, the positive wire that goes to the fuel pump inside the fuel pump assembly got pinched when installing the plastic bracket back into place. Of course its freed up now, but it cut through the insulation just a little bit. It is a very small cut, and the conductor may be barely exposed. What are the recommendations to fix this?

I know I could cut the wire, resolder, and use heat shrink tubing, but I would rather not cut the wire as it is so small. Is there any kind of liquid insulator that I could use that would resist gasoline?

Or even if I have to buy a new one, I can't find the part number on any of these OEM part finders.

Edit: After doing some more searching, I am guessing that a relay will be required to run the walbro pump on my ski. I do have an extra walbro 2 pin harness that I had bought from summit racing. I could always use this in place of my OEM harness, but how should I go about getting the wires out from the top of the fuel pump assembly? Is there any way I could get a new connector and pins and wire up the thicker wires in?

Autism Speaks. Its Time To Listen gOt BoOsT's Avatar
    +1
    i would heat shrink it or if its super small, just leave it...

SC on water, TT on land
    Quote Originally Posted by gOt BoOsT View Post
    i would heat shrink it or if its super small, just leave it...
    It's pretty small, but it still makes me nervous to leave it or heat shrink wrap it. I'd rather replace the harness, but the sea-doo won't sell just the harness, and I'd rather not spend $400 just to get a harness.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PTLanza View Post
    It's pretty small, but it still makes me nervous to leave it or heat shrink wrap it. I'd rather replace the harness, but the sea-doo won't sell just the harness, and I'd rather not spend $400 just to get a harness.
    You are dealing with fuel, I would say replace what needs to be replaced, I dont know if heat shrink will hold up to fuel. Call it a learning experience

SC on water, TT on land
    I would like to replace it, but the problem is I don't know where to buy replacement parts. Sea-doo does not sell the harness, and I'm not sure on connector pins.

After doing some further research, I did come across this bulkhead connector
    http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=RCS%2D028&Tp=
    This connector is not universal, so my question is to whether it would fit considering that our connector in the fuel tank lid is very similar looking to this connector. I've read that Sea-doo uses some GM connectors. If this does fit, then I can buy the mating connectors and create a harness with thicker wires than OEM to support more current draw from the walbro fuel pump. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this bulkhead connector might work?

If not, is there anywhere I might be able to purchase connector pins for these connections so I can replace the wire that needs to be replaced?

I really would like to get this going as the sea-doo is sitting in the garage and I really would like to get it out soon. It's been sitting around for the last 2 years undriven due to having a very busy schedule. Spare time is finally starting to free up.

Thread Information