Waverunner 1200 SUV question

Greetings to all - my first post here

I'm shopping for another ski after my Polaris suffered an untimely death at the hands of my stepson

I'm looking at a 2004 1200 SUV. I really had a preference for a 4 stroke but I found a low hour unit in great shape that I'm seriously considering.

My primary concern is maintenance and longevity so I would appreciate any comments from those familiar with this machine, compared to the 4 stroke Waverunners. I like the fact there are no oil changes but what additional maintenance items should I be concerned with? Also what would be a typical performance to expect with one or two people on board?

Thanks in advance.

+1
    You are in the right place for advice, my friend. Spend a couple of hours in this forum and you should learn all you need to know about making an SUV a reliable, fun ski. I have the xl1200, which has the same motor. It's been some work to maintain, for sure, but it's a solid machine with tons of power. They are thirsty. There are some basic mods you need to do right away to avoid trouble. Get rid of the cat converter and install a D plate, put in wave eater clips for the power valves, and fill the voids in the pump with a kit. All the parts are easy to find and not difficult. I'm sure you'll love the ski!

+1
    this is the right place for advise, but snowman12 is giving the wrong advise . The SUV 1200 doesn't have powervalves or cat converters. Its the 65u non-powervalve 1200. You'll find lots of great info on the SUV and the 65U here. The 65U came in the 97-99 GP1200, 98 XL1200, and all the SUVs.
    Biggest concerns with the 65U powerplant is oil lines, they guzzle gas, and some people have carb issues more frequently then others.
    So if you take care of replacing the oil lines (and check valves) and use metal crimp clamps(or convert to premix) along with rebuilding carbs and doing all the reliability mods to the carbs, you'll have an dang nice ski.

Many thanks for the info guys.

+1
    yeah, carb issue here, but I know it is my problem. run supper fine without the problem. and yes, it like to drink like crazy.

+1
    do a compression test before you buy it. Should have 110-120 psi in all 3 .

My 01 and my buddie's freshly rebuilt 04 got the exact EXACT same fuel economy on a 22 mile ride at a 30mph average (fishing offshore). We use pre-mix and get 2.5 mpg go give you a good guess at that portion of your search. The ski is amazingly stable for offshore and big lake waves. Storage is beyond compare. Not that you would need to, but you can fit a trolling motor in the side hatches ha! People mount external fuel tanks in the side compartments as well. You can fit a 5 gallon gas can standing up in the front hood and they will also stand up 1 - per side compartment (just goofy info but...).

The stock fuel tank should be right around 21.3 gallons including the reserve if I remember correctly from the owner's manual.

If the ski has been run in salt water, unscrew the rear storage under the seat (about 12 screws or so) and use a flashlight to look around inside there especially at the control cables where the exit the ski. Very common to have these cables corrode if the plastic skin on the cable gets a cut in it. If the cables show any sign of "exploding" from inside, just know that they are around $100 each to replace (or more).

If you have a long feeler-gauge, you can check the prop to housing clearance. .35 - .45mm is the normal clearance. New wear rings are around $150'ish if it is much out of tollerance.

Ask the owner if it has any modifications and post the answers here. Some are worth money to have on there.

They do vibrate A LOT at idle. Just something that is dealt with but what a comfortable ride! Youi can blast through waves that others will slow down for (well...some people slow down for anyway ha!).

The engine and carbs are quite easy to work on if you spend time scouring this forum and asking questions. If you have a reasonable amount of common sense, can take instruction, read a service manual and have the time, you can get through most of this ski yourself.

OsideBill can rebuild your carbs for you if you don't want to deal with that. Oh yea...and if you do...DON'T buy SBT carb rebuild kits (my 2 cents).

Most importantly...if you don't buy it...let me know where it is and I will ha!

+1
    The stock fuel tank should be right around 21.3 gallons including the reserve if I remember correctly from the owner's manual.
    18.5gal, the "on" use 16gal and the "rev" use the rest 2.5gal.

Thread Information