READ THIS - this forum is GREAT

Take the time to read this! I started rebuilding my '93 sl 650 about 4 months ago after it sat for 8 years! My 14 grandkids were old enough to enjoy it and after retiring, I got tired of it just sitting there after all the years I payed on it, buying it new. I read this forum every night and researched everything I had to do! I read all the help requests re: different problems and little by little, rebuilt the engine, and put it back in. Unlike all my younger years when I was dirt poor, this time I bought everything that was even questionable rather than put it back together without being right. I planned on putting it in a local lake last week, but other things came up and it's still in my back yard. I went out to start it for the first time yesterday and although I got it to start, it was difficult and it wouldn't keep running. The spark seemed pretty weak. After checking all the readings from the stator and the CDI (per all the info on this forum!), I remembered that I once read a thread about someone cutting off the last 1/4 inch of the plug wires, where they enter the plug boot! Supposedly, this increased the spark intensity! So, I did that and the sucker fired off immediately! It ran so smoothly, that I had to immediately shut it off to keep from running it more than about 6 sec without any water hookup! I waited a few minutes and when I tried it agin, the same thing, it fired off like a champ! I re-checked the spark and it was strong enoght to jump half an inch to the plug! The bottom line? Although I have the service manual, almost everything I did was from reading all the info from everyone on this forum! Thanx for the spark plug wire trick and everthing else all you folks have posted and responded to! This 64 year old appreciates every last one of you! Thank-You!

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Thank you for actually taking the time and reading all the posts and info we have on here. It gets quite frustrating when the same Q's are asked over and over again and the answers are all right there if you just look.

So thank you for that...

Hope the grandkids enjoy that ski as much as we enjoy ours.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Thank you for actually taking the time and reading all the posts and info we have on here. It gets quite frustrating when the same Q's are asked over and over again and the answers are all right there if you just look.

So thank you for that

Hope the grandkids enjoy that ski as much as we enjoy ours.
    +1

Always good to hear that the posted and collected information is making a difference!

Thread Information