Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'd rather be riding!

04 XLT 1200 Rebuild -- Help

Lost the rear cylinder on my XLT a while back. Tore it down and found the oil line to the rear carb had fallen off - Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Missing oil line.jpg 
Views:	661 
Size:	136.0 KB 
ID:	276455

Some things came up, so it's been a few weeks since I tore the engine down. I started putting it back together this week and can't seem to find the cooling hose that connects to the front of the exhaust manifold.

Any help on locating it would be great.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bad Cat Conv.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	103.6 KB 
ID:	276457
    Replaced the Cat Conv with a D-Plate. Also removed the oil pump so I don't have this problem again.

Name:	New Piston and Cylinder.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	276458
    New cylinder and piston installed.

+1
    While you're at it, you might want to go with aftermarket flame arrestors and follow Oside Bill's carb rebuilding guidelines. I did all the work, not too hard, and it's made a huge difference in reliability and performance. Don't forget wave eater clips and clean those power valves while you have it all apart. Were you able to get that cylinder off without taking off the exhaust manifold?

+1
    That cooling hose is up in the front of the ski and it should be easy to see. Do you mean you lost the actual hose, or just can't find it in the ski?

I'd rather be riding!
    Snowman -- Just can't locate the hose. I think it may connect to the exhaust. Will get back in there this weekend and finish this up I hope. I had to remove the exhaust manifold to get the cylinder out. Had to install it 2 times because I forgot to put the long bolts in before putting it on--won't do that again.

I'd rather be riding!
    Finally got back to the XLT rebuild this weekend and got it back together.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XLT1200 engine.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	83.2 KB 
ID:	277941
    The exhaust was even more fun to reinstall than it was to remove. Worked with it for 20 min, then my son shows up and just sticks it right in. I'll have to get him to remove it next time.

Name:	Back together again.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	277942
    Was great to install the battery, hit the switch and have the XLT fire right up.
    It ran good today at the lake too. Seems to have more mid range pickup than before.
    Updates:
    New rear cylinder and piston
    Cat-D plate
    Oil blockoff kit
    Rebuild complete at 114 hours.

Name:	114 hours.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	72.7 KB 
ID:	277944
    And can't forget my little helper, passenger and favorite granddaughter, Kendra.

Name:	Kendra and the XLT.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	277945
    Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.
    Next--back to the Ultra to try and find out why I lost another piston after the rebuild???

I just got my ski back form the shop. I did notice some oil in the engine compartment and asked the mechanic to check it out. He stated that year model had several of the oil lines that pop off. He rerouted my oil lines and resecured them so that would not happen again. He said the #3 had the oil line just over the nipple and most of the oil was falling on the engine, he claims I got it just in time.

I'd rather be riding!
    Yakski--glad you caught the oil lines in time. Both the XLT and the ZXI are running well right now. We were out at the lake today and had a blast Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Me and Kendra at Lake T.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	55.5 KB 
ID:	278909

Do you have to take engine out to do this job?

I'd rather be riding!
    You do not have to take the engine out to install the oil block off or to remove the oil lines from the carbs and then cap off the fittings. You do have to remove the exhaust to get access to the carbs--and I had to remove the head to get the muffler assembly out of the ski. On some skis, the muffler has enough clearance to be removed without pulling the head, but not on mine.

Glad to see your project a succsess! I just began one of my own on a 03 XLT 1200. I bought it with the #1 piston completely shattered. I dont know what happened?????
    I have a few pics posted, but I will be definetly be looking for advise if you don't mind? When I first bought it, the owner claimed to have 300+ hours on it... and looks to be a salt ski....
    Is it true you can only read the hours only when the ski is running???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information