Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2001 GTX issues or normal?

Hello all.

I have been creeping here since October 2011 and finally decided it was time to register. Around September of last year I gave $1500 for a 50hr 2001 GTX complete with trailer and cover.

Here it is with the G/F on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	297408_581705577375_1286566696_n.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	276456

The reason we gave so little is that the ski had sat for 3-4 years covered in a warehouse. When the owners decided they wanted to get it ready for summer they were hit with a $2000 estimate from the local stealership. Said it needed a fuel pump, new fuel lines, battery, summerization, and a bunch of other mess. I got it home, drained the fuel, and put in a new battery and rode it for about 6 hours. However, it always had a bog down low and made this weird popping (bopbopbop) sound under light throttle. It would also foul out plugs in about 6 hours. The ski still ran 58-60 on the dreamometer.

So as the winter came upon us I went ahead and swapped the grey lines out. When memorial day came upon us it started to run worse after 6-8 hours of riding. It got to the point to where you had to choke it to leave from idle. I was very busy so I took it to a marine shop who had been in the area for 18 years for a carb rebuild. Well this weekend we put about 6 more hours on it and I noticed a few issues with it. I was hoping you guys could help me out.

- The ski makes that popping/breaking up sound around 2-3000rpm (bopbopbop), but clears out up top (Doesn't seem like a misfire).
    - Coming off of throttle it always makes that same gurgle it makes around 2-3000rpm.
    - The plugs look much better but I noticed the front plus is a little more "lean" than the other.
    - There seems to be a dead spot down low and doesn't seem to be as brutal in power. However I still saw 60mph in chop.

Should the 2-stoke be smooth all the way through the RPM? Two friends had their budget skis out and they made the same gurgle, popping sounds.

Sorry for the long post. These things have quit the learning curve coming from the fuel injected v8 world of cars. I will also be looking for an impeller in the very near future!

Thanks!

adjust your low speed screws a 1/2 turn in or out and test again..

+1
    If you haven't turned the adjustments on the carbs from the factory settings its not going to fix the problem. Being that the gray fuel lines come apart from the inside, the carbs need to be removed and cleaned. There is a small filter in each carb on the inlet side and they wont hold much at all. It is a bit of a pain on that model. I have one just like it. I work on PWCs on the side. I have replaced lines on 5 seadoos this year and all of them required carb cleanings. If one leans out you will ruin your engine. Even if it runs ok wide open, I would have them cleaned. Sooner or later it will cause you problems.

+1
    Oh, I guess I need to read all of the post before responding. hehehehe No 2 stroke runs smooth at low rpm. Depending on how much its been modified. It may be ok now. What does it do from a wide open start? If its takes off good I wouldn't mess with it much. I would try turning the high speed out on the one that seems a bit lean. Not much though, 1/8 turn then try it. Reading the plugs can be tricky. I usually ride it wide open for about 1/4 mile then hit the kill switch. Don't idle at all. Take the plugs out and look at them. Make sure you pick a place where theres not a lot of boat traffic.

>>> The ski makes that popping/breaking up sound around 2-3000rpm (bopbopbop), but clears out up top (Doesn't seem like a misfire). <<<

Why would he adjust HS screws for a 1/4 throttle bog???

When it would be the low speed circuit - LS screw, pilot jet or pop-off..

And yes a 2-stroke will idle smooth and offer a no lag crisp accel.. If properly tuned..

It sounds to me like the pop off pressure is too high. That 2-3k range is right on the pop off where the carb will open and send fuel into the motor. If you know how to check that I would start there. It also makes sense as you said it ran better with the choke on to get above that RPM. In that 947 motor pop off should be about 20lbs to 23lbs.

Also, have you cleaned the selector valve? If not, try running the ski on res instead of on where its normally run. If it clears up, selecter valve.

I'm betting its the pop off though, a clogging selector valve will not run right at any rpm, the pop off will change with motor pressure.

Also, check your accel pump, mine had issues that I chased for months, eliminated that and problem gone. They need to squirt a fair amount of fuel to accel propperly from an idle.

Thanks for the replies.

I took the ski out today and verified the RPM that the issue clears up. I was a little off, It clears up right at 4k rpm. I did get some video to show you guys that I will upload later tonight and maybe we can go from there. I also looked at the plugs and they did not have a lean look to them as I initially thought.

I do plan to take it out tomorrow after cleaning the selector switch (was never done) and putting in some new plugs. I will shut it down after a WOT blast and read them for verification. I may try adjusting the low speed setting before I pull it back out of the water and see if that helps.

I really hope the guy who worked on it did not rebuild the carbs incorrectly. Does anyone have any diagrams as to there the low speed needle is? I do not want to mess with the wrong setting. Also what kind of gap are you guys running on plugs? .020?

I will report back for sure.

Thanks!

Kind of hard to hear, but here is the video from today. Any ideas?

If your going to put new plugs in it make sure you run it around for about 30 mins to color up the plugs, otherwise it will look really lean to you. When you do the plug chop make sure you hold it WOT and pull the cord out. If you let off and yank it out your readins will be incorrect.

If someone also rebuilt the carbs and forgot or just didn't tighten one of the pilot jets all the way you will be getting way to much fuel in at the low circut.

The lsa are not that simple to adjust on those carbs since you cant see them. You need to feel carefully around for them which is a major pain if your running the stock air box system.

I can't seem to copy my carb picture but if your facing the carbs infront of the motor the lsa is on the right hand side of the carbs almost against the motor. They have a little "T" handle to adjust.

Thanks jwick86. Good info. Video was posted last night, just waiting for admin approval on it. (never seen that on a forum before).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information