need help before my TXI gets turned into an artificial reef

Just bout a 2002 Polaris Virage 1200txi. When I purchased it I was told that it idled at 5000 rpm. Hooked it up to a hose when I got it home and found this to be true. Realized that throttle wasn't returning and the butterflies were not closing. So took the throttle bodies off and cleaned everything and the throttle now returns but idle still remains at 4000. Also realized the tension spring on the oil pump was broken so I bought a new oil pump and had the local polaris dealer put it on and address the idle. They did the work and told me there is not an adjustment for the idle but that the system is self adjusting. They told me to disconnect the battery and reconnect to reset the system then take it to the water to get it under load and start it and it should automatically adjust. Did as instructed and the ski still idles at 3000 under load. Took if for a quick spin and it will not rev over 5000. If you hold it at wide open throttle it will stop moving and the engine will rev at about 2000-2500 rpm. Any idea where to start?

It idles at 3000 but drops to 2000-2500 if you give it full throttle and then stops moving in the water? I would look at the throttle position sensor first, but if it is moving at 3000 rpm idle, it shouldnt stop moving at 2500 under throttle. Unplug your TPS and fire it up and see what happens. It should idle, but wont respond to any throttle input.

Got a chance to play with it this morning. Disconnected the TPS as recommended and low and behold it idles at 1200 Called the local dealer and they have a new one in stock but are telling me that its not just Plug and play that it needs hooked up to a computer to be reprogramed. Is this true? anyway around it?

+1
    Never heard that a sensor needs programmed before installing.

Check out these pages for more options:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...28#post1120128
    http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl....jected-engines

Just back from the dealer with the new TPS (can't believe they had one in stock) they said after it was installed it may need basically to be zeroed through digital wrench to make sure it was set right.

However I installed it, made sure the spring was set the same as the old one. Fired it up now idles at 1200 out of water revs fine.

Load test to come this afternoon

ran like a champ water was smooth ran 60 with not problem. Stop it started it with not problems I think the gremlins are gone. Thanks to everyone for their help!!!!!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by johntlr1000 View Post
    ran like a champ water was smooth ran 60 with not problem. Stop it started it with not problems I think the gremlins are gone. Thanks to everyone for their help!!!!!

Now that you have it running good, just for reference to mine, how smooth does your engine feel? Mine idles decent, but is fairly rough running up to mid range rpm. From there on up it is nice and smooth, just wondering if yours feels the same.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Comp View Post
    Now that you have it running good, just for reference to mine, how smooth does your engine feel? Mine idles decent, but is fairly rough running up to mid range rpm. From there on up it is nice and smooth, just wondering if yours feels the same.
    All the Polaris 1200 engines seem to have roughness and vibration from about 2x00-3x00RPM.

Above about 4000RPM it should smooth out.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    All the Polaris 1200 engines seem to have roughness and vibration from about 2x00-3x00RPM.

Above about 4000RPM it should smooth out.
    Thanks, thats what I have been wondering. The one I have running seems to have a lot of vibration exactly where you are talking about, and the other one when I did have it running a little seemed to do the same thing. My Kawi 1100 injected is much smoother than the two 1200 polaris.

Thread Information