Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

power valve & wave runner clips somethings not right?

All, just got my wave eater clips in the mail today, package says GPR, XLT and XXL 1200-1300cc. My ski is a 2000 xl1200 limited. The clips seem small, not wide enough to clip on. Before I go trying to force this thing on (which is what I would normally do) I thought I would send a picture of the PV and see if may be something looks off to those of you who have done this before. This is not the original engine; it was replaced about 4 years ago. I'm hoping maybe there was an upgrade to the PV system. Or maybe I was sent the wrong clips. I just bought this ski, never had it in the water due to lean runnaway so I am making the repairs and upgrades. Let me know what you think. Sorry about the quality. Thanks, Marty

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	009.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	276507Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	39.5 KB 
ID:	276508

+1
    If the motor was from sbt it is possible that it has their improved pv arms in there,is there a hole at each end where the pin goes through.if I'm not mistaken I think my pv arms that are on my 99 gp800 are a bronze color and I do know that sbt's are silver

+1
    I tried to do the same thing on my engine and it came from SBT. If I remember right that's what mine looked like. Their powervalves are supposed to be improved and they are wider. Just out of curiosity, what cuased your lean runaway?

The woman who I bought this from said she thought it was an SBT enigine but her dad did the work and he is no longer around to ask. I’m hoping the lean runaway was due to the carbs not being put back together correctly from the last person who owned this ski. When I disassembled the carbs there were no gaskets between the base of each carb and the carb assembly plate, just metal on metal. Then between the carb assembly plate and the reed valve plate they had the three single gaskets that should have been on the base of each carb and not the long single gasket that should have been there. AIso, when I looked at the reed valve plate with a mirror (engine still in ski) I could see two areas where exhaust was escaping from where the wrong gasket was. It was escaping towards the top of the reed valve plate. I was looking at old posts to see how to build a pressure tester and plan on doing one tmw or Saturday although the weather has been so hot I haven’t wanted to work outside. Should know for sure if that was the problem after I run the pressure test. Also got a lot of help from OsideBill and others on this site. I posted to one other site when I original started this over a month ago and only got one hit. Here I have entered multiple posts and received all kinds of help. This site is great. Other modifications include rebuilt carbs, D plate and chip, oil block off kit and maybe or maybe not wave eater clips. Sorry so long. Tks, Marty

Banned User
    +1
    Read my post. Buy the wave eaters before you start it up again

+1
    The waveater clips might not fit if they are sbt arms your best bet is to call sbt and give them the engine serial # on the sticker by the front of the motor and they can tell you if it was done by them and if it has their improved arms.if your tryin to build a pressure tester I learned a $35 mighty vac vacuum pump from the autoparts store is the best way to go

Did a little searching last night and these may be the Yamaha lever link's or something similar?

+1
    Take a close look at each end of those arms. If the ends are solid, and no slot for the pin to come out of, then you are good to go and nothing else is needed. The Waveeaters are for the stock yamaha lever arms which the pin slot goes clear thru the end, not being able to keep the pin from sliding sideways out of the valve shaft.

I'll buy the wave eater clips off you if they're the SBT arms

Just an update I called SBT and these are the lever links so no wave eaters needed. Thanks for the help all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information