Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1100 Waveventure smokes at idle,long crank warm

I've owned this machine for almost 10 years problem free. It sat for a year with old gas so I never even started it,removed and cleaned tank, took carbs off and installed complete rebuild kits including n/s. Starts great cold but smokes way more at idle. performance is same as before even a little better as it used to random hesitate. Compression 120 on all 3 holes. also when starting warm you need to crack the throttle. I'm guessing we are rich in idle circuit?, any thoughts? I've also read about oil pump issues, I'm thinking of premix?thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Premix is always a good idea. Otherwise, if it runs good, just ride it!!

I have a venture also. When the oil injection was still hooked up it does smoke a lot. When using pre-mix it doesn't smoke a lot. I took mine out and put thw block off plate on and took the choke plates out and installed the primer kit. The venture is known to smoke a lot at idle. I went to pre-mix on mine to be on the safe side.

Well after riding all weekend I definately have a carb issue, After filling the tank and letting it sit overnight I had a hydrolocked motor rear cylinder, I am thinking a leaky needle and seat? Once this is fixed I will loose the oil injection,but I want to cure this first, Anyone Recommend someone who knows carbs in Chicago area?

+1
    Those carbs are pretty easy and basic. You can do it yourself. Buy 3 genuine Mikuni carb rebuild kits, 3 genuine needle/seat assemblies, 3 carb base gaskets, the gasket between the carb rack and intake, and the gasket between the flamearrestor and carbs.
    You can do it yourself. Read up on them here. If you get stuck, post pics and ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by autowizzard View Post
    Well after riding all weekend I definately have a carb issue, After filling the tank and letting it sit overnight I had a hydrolocked motor rear cylinder, I am thinking a leaky needle and seat? Once this is fixed I will loose the oil injection,but I want to cure this first, Anyone Recommend someone who knows carbs in Chicago area?
    hydrolocked from filling it up? that cant happen. you may have a carb issue, but the only way to hydrolock it is to get water in the motor. you didn't happen to run it on the hose the night before did you?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by tshank123 View Post
    hydrolocked from filling it up? that cant happen. you may have a carb issue, but the only way to hydrolock it is to get water in the motor. you didn't happen to run it on the hose the night before did you?
    You can hydrolock an engine with gas if a needle/seat is leaking. Gas can continue to siphon out and overflow into the engine.

I've just never heard of that. I suppose its possible but it just doesn't sound very probable to me.

+1
    I've seen a couple posts on it lately. happens more frequently on motorcycles and atvs where the gas tank is above the carb but...

Yes it was a gas hydrolock as stated if a needle and seat (or somthing leaking)keep flowing gas a engine can lock up from excessive fuel in the crankcase., don't get me started on crap gas these days, I do car carbs no prob now I'm learning these, I went through them again maybe found a weak needle and seat spring, had 35psi popoff so we are going to try again this weekend. I will update

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information