07 RXP burnt 2 fuel pumps (p0231)

I've been having problems with the fuel pump on my 07 rxp supercharged. It began with trouble getting the ski started however it did eventually start and ride fine for the day, I turned it off and on a few times through out the day. The next day it took about 20 minutes to get it started then ran for a couple hours. While going about 40 or 50mph it cut out and gave me check engine and code p0231. After the code appeared it would not start at all. Also my gauges were malfunctioning for about 15 minutes while I was riding. The speed and compass gauges were going crazy but I thought maybe it was from cranking it so many times and draining the battery. I brought it to get serviced and was told the fuel pump was bad. Had a new pump installed and it started right up when I picked it back up from service place. When I put it in the water today it started right up and ran fine for about 5 minutes until I got out of the no wake zone and gave it some gas. After about 300 feet it cut out and the check engine and p0231 came up. Obviously something besides the pump its self, part of the electrical system or the ECM I guess is causing the pump to fail. I was told the original pump was tested and was no good and I'm hoping this new pump isn't ruined now also. When I dropped it off today for service the guy disconnected to ecm and reconnected it and it started but only for a few seconds. So my question is has any one else had experience with this problem and more importantly have an accurate method of pin pointing what is causing this to happen? The service place said they connected it to the B.U.D.S and that it won't tell you if and where there is a short so they didn't have an answer for me today.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you may have a bad connection at one of the amp plugs that connect to the mpem and this is providing low voltage to the fuel pump..which will smoke it. check the wiring at the mpem and look for wires that appear to have been grabbed and twisted by a needle nose. I saw one last week that had this problem..but in my case the connection would fail when the ski hit a small wake and the pump shut off ( I could make the pump chatter by simply touching the harness at the plug)..somebody put a bunch of zipties on the harness to pull it into a position where the connection was "good"..but the customer ran when I gave em a price on repairing that problem. Replacing those connectors is tedious and kinda time consuming.

The other issues you are seeing appear to be related to a bad connection which is spiking the electrical system ( the fuel pump draws a bit of current and having it go on and off once the ski is running could snooker the mpem ). I'd have a chat with the service manager as to why the first repair wasn't tested enough causing you to have a stressful moment on the water. I'm always amazed when I hear about dealers that have no water tank on site to test basic repairs. My shop rate is really high..but that's because stuff goes in the tank for a run before I hand it back to the customer...who has every expectation of having a solid day of fun on the water.

Hit me up bro!! Im going through the same thing. I have some info. 504-508-2559 Guy

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    sharing info is the foundation of our community. what you got? Inquiring minds just gotta know.

I have been going through this for over a year now. They replaced the fuel pump first. Few months later it did it again leaving me stranded in open water. They said oh its the ecu and replaced it. 6 months later stranded again. I took it to the dealer and he unplugged the ecu and plugged it back in and it started fine and runs its ass off. All of this without throwing a code. That dealer told me that it has to be in the wiring harness and that it is not covered by warranty. I took it to another dealer that said "awww we can fix it no problem". The. They call me up and say we cant get it to do it. It started happening every time i rode. On the 4 th it left me stranded again but had the codep0231. I called brp and they opened a claim

I had the ecm swapped and it seems to have solved the fuel pump problem for now but today when I took it out i got code p0563 voltage hi. Is it possible that was the original problem that messed up the original fuel pump and ecm? I'm affraid everything is just going to get cooked now. I connected the multimeter to the battery and it was 12.5 idle and 15.5 when giving it some gas. Also looking at my original ecm it looks like the last pin of the top row in the section labeled B has some melted plastic on it.
    Last edited by gr4ph1c; 08-17-2012 at 01:13 PM.

gixxxer - the female terminal that connects to the pins on the ecm might be burnt or broken. if the terminal is the problem you can replace it with part # 278001750 with out having to spend 600 on a new harness. this is what seems to have been the situation with me.

Thread Information