Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Exclamation Looking to buy new PWC narrowed down to either FX SHO or ULTRA 300x

I have a Yamaha XLT 1200 since 2005 and I do some riding in river and bay but then usually go out in the ocean almost every run I do with my pwc.
    How do the FX SHO or ULTRA 300X compare in terms of yearly or 100 hours of operation maintenace cost for saltwater use, rougth water and open water stability and performace,top speed stock with and with speed governor overide,acceleration 0-30 and 0-60 and lbs of thrust output on stock machines?

+1
    You may be aware, but the 2012 FX SHO hull was redesigned and is reportedly more capable offshore than earlier models. You may be able to save some $ by finding a leftover 300x 2011 model. If you're going to be riding offshore you'll want to stay with a 2012 (or 2013 when released) FX SHO.

Also, since the hull is a redesign for 2012, some of the aftermarket performance parts aren't yet available for the FX - give that a few months.

Personally, I think the FX is the more reliable ski - but you'd expect that asking on the Yamaha forum.

+1
    i puchased an 2012 fx cruiser sho this march, and my good friend we ride with bought a leftover 300 ultra. as kelly_A said, the 2012 sho is 7 inches longer than the previous models and was redesigned for 2012, stock for stock the 300 is just a little faster on launch but both are about the same on top end cruiser was 1mph faster on top end. and keep in mind the yamaha is made to run on 87 octane fuel while the kawi has to be 91 or higher. imo we were out jumping waves in the ocean and the cruiser seems th handle the ocean better. as for performance parts for the yamaha i think all engine parts and acc from the fz platform will fit ribbon deleat,i/c,charger wheels,etc. the only things i have found that will not fit are fz driveshaft,intake grate,rideplate,and freeflow exhaust. but you can make your own free flow from the stock exhaust easy i have done some mods to mine and am waiting for an intake grate as no-one makes one yet.. hope this helps

4. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by Guncollector View Post
    I have a Yamaha XLT 1200 since 2005 and I do some riding in river and bay but then usually go out in the ocean almost every run I do with my pwc.
    How do the FX SHO or ULTRA 300X compare in terms of yearly or 100 hours of operation maintenace cost for saltwater use, rougth water and open water stability and performace,top speed stock with and with speed governor overide,acceleration 0-30 and 0-60 and lbs of thrust output on stock machines?
    Having spent some time on both of these machines and currently owning the new FX SHO here is my "tale of the tape" for your questions:
    - Maintenance / cost of Operation for forst 100 hours: FX SHO is better (FX will run on 87 octane. The 300 must have 91 octane)
    - Top speed stock: Slight edge to the FX SHO
    - Top Speed with Speed Control Override Module on Ultra: Ultra is now the faster of the two Skis
    - Accelaration 0 to 30: Ultra by a boat length. 0 to 60: Water conditions will influence this measure (both Skis will accelarate to 60 well).
    - Stability @ all speeds: FX SHO is better
    - Saltwater use: FX SHO is better (Ultra is "ok" but you have to be very deligent in after ride washdown or SC parts will rust and corrode)

+1
    these threads are gold of course posting in the yamaha section you are going to get yamaha votes
    fair comments john but your last point may have been valid for the 250/260 but certainly not the 300

Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    these threads are gold of course posting in the yamaha section you are going to get yamaha votes
    fair comments john but your last point may have been valid for the 250/260 but certainly not the 300
    If the Pulley and Tensioner Wheel start to rust / corrode on the 300 (or even the older models) it will start to "saw" the rubber belt which rotates the SC. Soon, this will cause the Belt to break. I have seen this personally on both the 300 and the older models so it does happen unless alot of TLC is taken in the after ride washdown process.

To be fair here, I have also seen some very well taken care of Ultras where this does not happen. JB

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Guncollector View Post
    Guncollector; I would definitely stick with Yamaha and the new FX SHO (per John Belton) will be an awesome choice. Belton is the real deal, he's made hundreds upon hundreds of offshore ocean rides and he won't BS you. If you want some more information on the "maintenance" of the Ultra 300X click on the thread below and look at post no. 124...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...176703&page=13

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    Having spent some time on both of these machines and currently owning the new FX SHO here is my "tale of the tape" for your questions:
    - Maintenance / cost of Operation for forst 100 hours: FX SHO is better (FX will run on 87 octane. The 300 must have 91 octane)
    - Top speed stock: Slight edge to the FX SHO
    - Top Speed with Speed Control Override Module on Ultra: Ultra is now the faster of the two Skis
    - Accelaration 0 to 30: Ultra by a boat length. 0 to 60: Water conditions will influence this measure (both Skis will accelarate to 60 well).
    - Stability @ all speeds: FX SHO is better
    - Saltwater use: FX SHO is better (Ultra is "ok" but you have to be very deligent in after ride washdown or SC parts will rust and corrode)
    How many hrs have you put on a 300. Not a 250 or 60 but 300. ?

I've personally only rode my buddy's 08fxsho and it's a very quick ski and is like a Cadillac on water it a real smoth ride and, I've always own Yamaha quads and sport bikes with no issues so I will personally stick with Yamaha but I have never rode a 300 so I can't comment on that but I would say u can't go wrong with the fxsho but it's gonna be in ur personal preference

+1
    hands down YAMAHA !!!!!!!!! but of course your going to get that answer on a yamaha thread,

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information