Is this 1200 non-PV bottom case fried?

Couple pics of the bottom of a case off of a 1200 non-pv from a 98XL1200 that I am parting out. Before I dispose of (recycle) this bottom, I wanted to make sure it isn't something I should keep around and/or get welded locally to keep both the bottom and top together for future use. I have 2 SUVs with the same motor so you never know.

There is 1 hole/crack in the bottom that I know can be welded for around $100 to $150...seen that before. The big question is the chunk. SBT said it is trash but that may be due to their standards? Has anyone ever had a chunk like this fixed with success? If so, how many hours on the rebuild since getting it fixed?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case1.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	367.5 KB 
ID:	276564Click image for larger version. 

Name:	case2.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	329.0 KB 
ID:	276565

Port Lambton, Ontario
    That seems like it would be a weak point....possible leak point....may be just me, but I wouldn't trust it, especially after building a motor

Madison, WI, USA
    Definitely trash. You'd have a 99% chance that'll never seal well to the other case half.

Just put it with the other side of the case. U should be able to see the hole. It can be weld back but not worth it. Just get a new bottom crank case.

Cool, thanks for the input everyone. I'll probably just put the top back up for sale on Ebay to see if someone else wants to deal with a mis-matched case.

Thread Information