Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 XP Strange Starting Problem

2000 XP had a full rebuild a while back and was running perfect until it developed this strange starting issue.*

If I start it normally it will rev up and then cut out. Happens every time. But if i hold down the start button while connecting up the dess key and then press the start button, it will start and idle peffect every time. If i then remove the key and put it back on the problem is there again.*
    Anyone have any ideas as to what is happening here

+1
    Need more info. It's carbed or DI. Is it stock ? if not what mods. It is the first time i read something like that on either DI or Carbed XP's

Carb Ski. Stock. Carbs and entire engine has been rebuilt some time back. I have repaired lots of ski's but this fault is a strange one to me.

so far i have tried the following.

Replaced MPEM with my spare one. (no diff)
    Replaced the DESS post (no diff)
    Cut off the start/stop switch and just used the bare wires. (no diff)

Problem is as follows.
    If i palce the key on DESS post, i get the confirmation 2 beeps. I then try and start, it fires up revs and then cuts out. No matter what i do it will cut out. (loss of spark)

With the DESS key removed if i press and hold the start button and place the key on the post. Release the start button and then press it again the engine will start and run perfect. I can then switch it off an on a many times as I like once I dont remove the key from the post. As soon as I remove the key and place it back on normally, the engine resorts back to cutting out once started. I am going to check all the earths later today but I am at a loss as to what is going on.

Wiring harness would be my next suspect but thiswould not explain why it satrts with the sart button pressed.

Any idea from the Seadoo experts on here please.

+1
    try disconecting the gauges.. Other thing I could think is maybe the pickup coil. ? It's very rare. Wiring can be putting hi resistance but it still getting signal to the mpem. Check the grounds to see if there is any corrosion or damage.

Have you tried a different key? I know you swapped MPEM but I don't know if you have that same key programmed to multiple machines. You've basically eliminated everything else besides the coils and the mag side of the motor being the stator and pickup.

So at this stage I have tried everything. I replaced the stator and pick up coil. Replaced harness, spare MPEM and key fitted, checked and cleaned all grounds.
    Have not yet tried spare coils. will do this later today. Problem is still there.

Have had many ski's with strange faults before but never gave up till I found the problem, about ready to give in on this now. This problem is not really effecting the operation of the skli but I am afraid it will cause more serious problems in the future. Something has gone wrong as it worked perfect previously

+1
    Is this Xp your's or it was brought by a customer that took it from another shop? Just curious. Did you replace all the harnesses or just the one that goes to the gauges and MPEM? Did you try disconecting the bilge pump? the vts module? all accesories that could create a short.

Brought to me after someone else had tried to sort the problem. Yes i disconnected all itemsfrom from the harness including vts and bilge. I also metered out the entire harness to see if any high resistance reading were present. Also no ashorts in the harness.

Just a suggestion - there is a TPS sensor on the throttle cable - unplug the 3 pin flat connector from the wiring harness and try it...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information