Better Handling on an RXP

I'm a modifying addict. Ever since I got my first car, I've been looking for ways to better it to suit my needs that the manufacturers decided to neglected. I mod everything and anything. My cars are all modded. My bikes are all modded. My phone is tweaked. Hell, I even modded my wife. I got my hands on an 07 RXP 215 and now want to fix her up to my liking.
    I rode my friends Honda f-12x the other day and couldn't help but fall in love with it's turning capabilities. That thing just slices through the water like Peter North splits through a ........ Nevermind.
    All in all, I'm wondering what are the best things to get to make it turn on a dime. I know it will never feel like the honda because they were built for different purposes, but I want it to get as close as possible to those capabilities. (I can't believe I just said I want it to feel more like a honda. WTH)
    I'm not much of a high speed guy on a jetski. To me, handling is the most important aspect, because with proper control of you're vehicle, you can take out more people. Once I find that I need more power, then I will head towards engine and propulsion upgrades.
    I've read conflicting reports on the Riva Pro Opas delete. I think I will still get them because it fills out the hull. Is the handling drastically improved or not?
    Also, are sponsons really going to give me a different feel to the ski? I understand their purpose is to drag in the water, pulling back one side to turn in more, but is it that much compared to stock>??
    Another question is, which grate to get for precision turning??? I hear that the R & D Grate is one of the best all arounders, is this true?
    I'm looking for best bang for the buck that gives the most feel to start. I was thinking about getting the grate and sponsons first. Will this be a night and day difference? Any other mod not mentioned would be ideal if it's worth it.... Thanks for the help.

Banned User
    +1
    Worx grate and Drop the sponsons 20mm.... You want to turn hard, and stay hooked up that'll do it!!

I have an 07 rxp. I have the riva sponsons in the down position. They are definitely worth it. I just added the riva pro block offs and i can stay in the throttle in mid chop and not get thrown around. Stock opas drags in the chop and causes u to get out of it. However it is a little tricky without the training wheels at low speeds. Im a speed hog and a turn hog also. As far as grates, u should run riva on rxp and on the X the r&d.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
    Worx grate and Drop the sponsons 20mm.... You want to turn hard, and stay hooked up that'll do it!!
    Drop the stock sponsons??

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by EmPwrD View Post
    Drop the stock sponsons??
    Drop 'em..... as in get rid of them.. LOL no, he means pull them off & drill new holes 20mm lower.. I would just get the riva's and put them all the way down.. Much better handling and tracking..

Quote Originally Posted by ou812 View Post
    I would just get the riva's and put them all the way down.. Much better handling and tracking..
    I was thinking the same thing. I'd rather not drill any more holes into the hull than I need too. I'm a little worried of getting cracks at the drilling points that would/could get worse over time. It's also easier to just remove and install the Riva ones anyways since I don't have to take all that crap out of the way. The Riva's are essentially a three step job. Remove, replace, Enjoy.

Which Intake grate is considered the standard to pick up. I heard the Riva's are prone to breakage. The R&D's are great for the sea. I do most of my riding in a nearby Lake. Would the Worx work? Advants and dis advants would be appreciated.

Banned User
    +1
    FINE dont listen and spend 200+ on some riva's hahaha, dont get me wrong, rivas turn great, stockers will turn better then rivas! you wont even see the holes if thats what your worried about, even 20mm's will still be covered by the sponson itself. all i did was fill the stock holes up with right-stuff and never had a single problem with cracks or leaking. the hulls are very thick right there..... just food for thought thats all. good luck, be safe!

Not really fond of tapping too many holes in a perfectly fine hull thats all. The last thing I want to do is to add more places that could leak. I'd rather use the stock mounting points for piece of mind. Two holes being so close kinda unsettles me to do it when it has to anchor so much pressure. Cracks could form there introducing a slight leak. It's not going to sink the ski that fast but still. I am listening to you with the worx grate tho. Going to pick that one up. Looks to be a pretty beefy unit. Introduces enough water into the prop without too much concern for overstuff.

+1
    If you haven't done so. I recommend you install at minimum a rule 750a Bilge pump for safety.

+1
    lol Someone is gonna get you hurt...lowering the sponsons very much ( 3-5 mm ok) makes it twitchy.... you can move the sponsons forward 3-6 inches. Another words your ass will end up swimming. Put 1 mm of shims under the rear bolts of the rideplate. This will slow it down 1-2 mph but will turn hard. If the ass wants to skate around fix that with the intake grate not the sponsons. Grind off a little of the opas paddles on the bottom where it sticks down below the hull, the opas initiates the turn. Good luck.

Thread Information