Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

gremlin takes over my new 300

So..here is a good one....I was going to write a glowing report of my new 300...the 1st 10 hrs. were excellent...this is by far the beat ski ever to come out of team green! Broke it in for the full 5hrs. the next 5 was offshore in moderate chop with some wfo runs of les than 5 minutes...everything was great till I went in for my 10hr. service. My purchasing dealer turned it around in a day and a half knowing I wanted to ride the 4th...so STUPIDLY i did not really go over the ski upon its return from dealer....I mean come on the service is pretty simple...changing the oil is probablty the hardest part...(they did put Kawi syn in for me)..any how I take it out on the 4th get abot 20-25 miles from my ramp...actually I was 1 mi. due west of the N. anclote sanbar for those of you in the know, eating up some small 2-3' chop and the ski just shuts down...no alarms...just brrrrrrrrrr...dead stop no power to anything...friends of mine were at the beach and some really cool yami riders that I flagged down went in and got a tow rope from my friends came back out and towed my dead ass ski into the beach. upon inspection the two positive leads going into the block mounted to the hull were loose...I mean spin with 1 finger loose..so I tightened them.. I was on the beach side working with only the tools in my onboard kit..(think I will upgrade this kit)..well still dead..I knew the fuse was blown but I know you guys are going to give me shit..but I did know it was the orange molex plug looking thing with tape around it..THIS IS A GOOD TIME FOR ANY OF YOU TO THAT DON'T KNOW WHERE THIS FUSE IS TO FIND IT.....so I got towed in to a private boat ramp in Tarpon Springs about a 7 mi' tow.....Thank goodness I had friends with access to that ramp or it would have been a long tow home.

Got to get a ride back to my trailer....barley got on the ramp at a low moon tide..got home just around dusk...looked for that damm fuse again but I too tired and just clean up the ski and flushed IC...

Next am go to dealer and ask why terminals were left so loose....relpy "it comes from the factory that way"...so my tech in 2min. shows me the freaking main fuse holder and the spare...puts it in...and we have power!

So he says I'll tighten everything up flush it and you can pick up later.

I pick it up and go out to Lake Tarpon which is just 5min. from the dealer..figure evrything is fine and Ill just go for a little check out ride....I'm sure by know you know what happens...after 10min. of hard riding...the freaking thing shuts down again...ahole me brought nothing with me..no phone ..no rope..nada...again 2 very cool yami riders haul my ass into a close by ramp.. we try putting in the spare fuse as I'm telling them no problem I'll fix this in 2 seconds this time..NOOOO it blows the spare fuse..so they give me a ride to the other side of the lake to get my rig..help me load load my ski...you know the jet ski community is a pretty helpful bunch that sometimes gets a bad rapp..

Back at the dealer they are scrathing their noggins..."never had one do this"..... yea because its probably a service induced problem guys, is my thought...any experts want to weigh in....I really want to use my new ski this weekend?

Thanks!

+1
    Very Interesting. Sorry to hear your issues with your new machine.

Sounds like you got lucky with a tow back to dry-land and IMO, I have always found it best to use the buddy system, and try to not go out alone, yet it does not always happen as planned.

I guess you got your ski from the Dealership on US-19 just South of Curlew Road - as I also did.

My guess is the main power feed, or a main ground has loosened-up or was never tight to begin with - and has possibly caused a dead-short to GND.

Good Luck - let us know how you make out, and I am heading out tomorrow AM from Bellair Beach Cauesway.

Should you ever want to "tag-team" - simply PM me.

Good Luck!!!

Ed

Thanks for the input Ed....hopefully its that easy and the tech will find it...I don't think it could have spiked the ECU with those loose cables...there is a dead short somewhere and hpoefully it stayed in a broken state for the tech to track down..yea I usually ride with other people but that day was by myself...well my friend was there in his boat too...I have been riding these toys since '84 and this is the first time I ever been towed...guess have been lucky! my 250x had ZERO problems..well other than a litttle gio ...Don't mean to be too hard on the tech but the timing sure seems odd...although it could just be a random failure.

I keep you in mind once I'm back on the water...maybe meet you at shepards and we can enjoy the view.

As Spooling correctly points out sometimes riding buddies don't work out as planned, or you are forced to ride alone. I would at a minumum bring your cell phone with you, get a good GPS, and buy a membership to Vessel Assist. To be towed back by a couple of "passing Skis" is just sheer luck. Winds, tides, waves, can all change quickly. And next time maybe there won't be any "passing by" good samaritan Skis. It's always good to be prepared for the worst. JB

+1
    pretty normal its been mentioned on here before, should have been tightened in pre delivery, the seem to be very loose from the factory!!

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kawabunga View Post
    So..here is a good one....I was going to write a glowing report of my new 300...the 1st 10 hrs. were excellent...this is by far the beat ski ever to come out of team green! Broke it in for the full 5hrs. the next 5 was offshore in moderate chop with some wfo runs of les than 5 minutes...everything was great till I went in for my 10hr. service. My purchasing dealer turned it around in a day and a half knowing I wanted to ride the 4th...so STUPIDLY i did not really go over the ski upon its return from dealer....I mean come on the service is pretty simple...changing the oil is probablty the hardest part...(they did put Kawi syn in for me)..any how I take it out on the 4th get abot 20-25 miles from my ramp...actually I was 1 mi. due west of the N. anclote sanbar for those of you in the know, eating up some small 2-3' chop and the ski just shuts down...no alarms...just brrrrrrrrrr...dead stop no power to anything...friends of mine were at the beach and some really cool yami riders that I flagged down went in and got a tow rope from my friends came back out and towed my dead ass ski into the beach. upon inspection the two positive leads going into the block mounted to the hull were loose...I mean spin with 1 finger loose..so I tightened them.. I was on the beach side working with only the tools in my onboard kit..(think I will upgrade this kit)..well still dead..I knew the fuse was blown but I know you guys are going to give me shit..but I did know it was the orange molex plug looking thing with tape around it..THIS IS A GOOD TIME FOR ANY OF YOU TO THAT DON'T KNOW WHERE THIS FUSE IS TO FIND IT.....so I got towed in to a private boat ramp in Tarpon Springs about a 7 mi' tow.....Thank goodness I had friends with access to that ramp or it would have been a long tow home.

Got to get a ride back to my trailer....barley got on the ramp at a low moon tide..got home just around dusk...looked for that damm fuse again but I too tired and just clean up the ski and flushed IC...

Next am go to dealer and ask why terminals were left so loose....relpy "it comes from the factory that way"...so my tech in 2min. shows me the freaking main fuse holder and the spare...puts it in...and we have power!

So he says I'll tighten everything up flush it and you can pick up later.

I pick it up and go out to Lake Tarpon which is just 5min. from the dealer..figure evrything is fine and Ill just go for a little check out ride....I'm sure by know you know what happens...after 10min. of hard riding...the freaking thing shuts down again...ahole me brought nothing with me..no phone ..no rope..nada...again 2 very cool yami riders haul my ass into a close by ramp.. we try putting in the spare fuse as I'm telling them no problem I'll fix this in 2 seconds this time..NOOOO it blows the spare fuse..so they give me a ride to the other side of the lake to get my rig..help me load load my ski...you know the jet ski community is a pretty helpful bunch that sometimes gets a bad rapp..

Back at the dealer they are scrathing their noggins..."never had one do this"..... yea because its probably a service induced problem guys, is my thought...any experts want to weigh in....I really want to use my new ski this weekend?

Thanks!
    just another case of poor pre-delivery from the selling dealer and the customer has to wear the shit , even in the service if they do a GOOD job they should have inspected and sprayed those connections with a protect ant or the like

Hope you are back on the water soon

Waz

+1
    +1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    pretty normal its been mentioned on here before, should have been tightened in pre delivery, the seem to be very loose from the factory!!
    Hey Corey - Can you elaborate a little more (please) - to share with us new owners that missed that Posting where it was "mentioned before"?

Is it the +/- battery terminal connections themselves, or possibly the GND to the engine block cable - or possibly you are referring to another termination point that is "lamely" secured by the Factory?

Many Thanks!!! Good Day Mate

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Spooling View Post
    Hey Corey - Can you elaborate a little more (please) - to share with us new owners that missed that Posting where it was "mentioned before"?

Is it the +/- battery terminal connections themselves, or possibly the GND to the engine block cable - or possibly you are referring to another termination point that is "lamely" secured by the Factory?

Many Thanks!!! Good Day Mate
    It's the one on the solenoid. The problem usually accrues the wire being orientated wrong then tightened down witch will cause it to come loose or a combination of that and them not tightening it enough. Make sure the wire is orientated so it's not stressed.

Seems like they should have added " check every nut and bolt @ 0 hours" in the scheduled maintenance log.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information