Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2008 STX-15F Vibrating Issue and more

My 2008 STX-15F has approx 90 hours on it and I was out on a long trip with a friend when something got stuck in the impeller. It sounded like a small rock or something hard it quickly released out on its own. I rode the jetski for about 4/5 minutes when I got the OILH light. I shut off the jetski and had a friend tow me into the marina. We stopped along the way back to gas up at a different marina where my friend tried to turn the ski on an angle in the water so that I could inspect the intake grate and ride plate (while I was in the water) of anything that could have gotten sucked up in there. In doing so the engine bay filled about 1/8-1/4 with salt water. We proceeded back to our marina where we washed out the engine bay and drained the water. The ski wouldn't start for about a day because the exhaust was flooded with water.

The jetski starts just fine and idles just fine out of the water. I tried to take it for a ride on the 4th of July and upon leaving the marina (5mph area) I noticed a very rough vibration between 4-5500 rpm. It was odd because nothing was stuck in the impeller. So I returned back to my slip and the jetski wouldnt start back up. I let it cool off for a few hours and it started right back up. When I flushed it of the salt water it run just fine no vibrations throughout the rpm range. So just under the pressure of being in the water the problem occurs. Any suggestions as to what I should be trying to look for?

All help is greatly appreciated.
    Michael

+1
    Sounds like you may have bent one or more of the impeller blades by whatever went through it. Check the backside of the impeller by looking into the back of the pump with a bright light. You could also have a spark plug that is not firing under load.

I will check the impeller, but from wat I remember it looked alright although I might have overlooked it. I was thinking that maybe the pump bearing has gone but am unsure on how to check for something like that.

+1
    if you flooded the exhaust it more than likely shit a spark plug, are you sure the engine is not running rough causing the vibration you are explaining? why did the oilh light come on?

That could be very possible that I shit a spark plug, but I don't understand why it is running perfectly fine out of the water with a hose attached. It seems like the vibration only occurs when the jetski is in the water due to the pressure of the water. The vibration is very abrupt and only happens between 4-5500 rpms which I find to be extremely strange. I am thinking the oil light came on because the engine was working at full throttle and a plastic bag or some other piece of garbage was jammed in the intake grate and propeller. I am suspecting a plastic bag because when we got back to the marina we found a few pieces of a plastic bag jammed between the intake grate and ride plate.

I will try a set of new plugs

+1
    My vote is for possible impeller damage, that is why it doesn't show up on the garden hose. Does the ski still run same mph at full throttle & have no vibration after 5500? If so that could be a plug going bad.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by stxmichael View Post
    That could be very possible that I shit a spark plug, but I don't understand why it is running perfectly fine out of the water with a hose attached. It seems like the vibration only occurs when the jetski is in the water due to the pressure of the water. The vibration is very abrupt and only happens between 4-5500 rpms which I find to be extremely strange. I am thinking the oil light came on because the engine was working at full throttle and a plastic bag or some other piece of garbage was jammed in the intake grate and propeller. I am suspecting a plastic bag because when we got back to the marina we found a few pieces of a plastic bag jammed between the intake grate and ride plate.

I will try a set of new plugs

In water the engine is under load and is the most likely time you will notice if engine is miss-firing , out of water there is no load hence can rev up without missing

could be a pump problem, but it's more likely engine is misfiring

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ange5583 View Post
    In water the engine is under load and is the most likely time you will notice if engine is miss-firing , out of water there is no load hence can rev up without missing

could be a pump problem, but it's more likely engine is misfiring
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by stxmichael View Post
    I am suspecting a plastic bag because when we got back to the marina we found a few pieces of a plastic bag jammed between the intake grate and ride plate.
    That seems to be the answer to your question.
    Is the ski running any better/different since?

Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    That seems to be the answer to your question.
    Is the ski running any better/different since?
    It has not been running the same since.

Changed the plugs and it ran the same, dropped the pump to find it was the bearings. The impeller has been grinding against the housing and rust has formed on the inside of the housing. Going to need to replace the housing with the impeller and new bearings and gaskets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information