Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Carbon Seal leaking

Hi all! I have a 2004 gtx that at high speeds the carbon seal separates from the ring seal about an eighth of an inch and allows water to pour in.
    The whole drive shaft sucks into the pto. I took it all apart thinking the rubber at the end of the drive shaft is bad but it is fine. I have ordered all new parts and suspect it's the carbon seal even though the one I have looks fine. Here is a pic tell me what you think. Has it lost at least an eight of an inch?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5048.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	276598  

Definately worth changing while out

+1
    I would put a NEW carbon seal, bellows, and PTO seal on while everything is apart!

+1
    +1 what JT said. Replace the carbon seal and bellows, worm clamps on bellows, and plug at the end of the shaft. The bellows are what keeps the carbon seal tight to the collar so if they are worn there will def be a water leak. While you are doing that you might as well refresh the other wear items for piece of mind

+1
    Replace the Hat as well.

Okay thanks guys, will do. I am even replacing the drive shaft since it is corroded. Now that I think of it do they not sell a stainless steel shaft?
    The manual says to spray anti corrosion spray but these things are not easy to get at. Now that I will have a new ring seal and shaft it will be much easier to remove so I guess I will check this maybe every two years.
    I forgot to mention that when driving fast and with water spraying out of the carbon seal the engine stalled and went into limp home mode. I read up on it and I think the EGTS (exhaust gas temp sensor) got wet and caused this to happen. I checked the ecu for codes and got none. Does this sound like a fair prognosis? Has anyone else have this happen?

Just for the record for anyone else who may have this problem it was not the carbon seal as the picture I posted showed. Since the new one looks very close to the same size. It was indeed the bellow that shrunk over an eighth of an inch in length. Thanks jpt7779.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GTXuser View Post
    Just for the record for anyone else who may have this problem it was not the carbon seal as the picture I posted showed. Since the new one looks very close to the same size. It was indeed the bellow that shrunk over an eighth of an inch in length. Thanks jpt7779.
    Your welcome, but you know all of us guys have the same problem in water....................shrinkage!!!

+1
    don't forget the c clip

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    Your welcome, but you know all of us guys have the same problem in water....................shrinkage!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information