+1

What materials are people using to repair cracks in the Nano hulls?

Had a little mishap the other day and another ski made contact with my ski in 5-6ft. surf while floating around shooting the breeze. The nose of his ski hit on the left rear rail of mine and now I have a crack that runs about 8" under the rail and then splits into 2 and travels another 4-5" straight down and they definitely split all the way through as the ski takes on water in the that area and I can also see daylight. The damage is located in the rear to the left of the pump about where a through hull exhaust exit would go. I discovered it today while launching and rode it anyway to see how much pressure that area of the hull sees and it did not spread a bit after jumping waves for an hour but would like to know what materials ie: epoxy, material, methods etc. guys are using to repair the Nano hull. I have some six10 in my possesion and seemed to work ok on the tunnel reinforcement but was wondering if there is a better epoxy and material I could use to make a patch inside and out, blend and gelcoat to match. Any ideas would be appreciated! Thanks guys

+1
    I spoke with a enginer at the company that makes west system products ( Gougeon Brothers Inc.) I had met while at Fountain Power Boats and had him investigate what products need to be used to repair these hulls. After a day or two he contacted me back after doing some extensive research and said there epoxy ( 105 epoxy resin and 205 or 206 slow hardner a long with fiber glass cloth would be the correct product to repair a nano hull. Tommy Jordan--------------------------------------------------- His reply" Hello Tommy,

After reading the article that you sent me, I believe that they are still using a sheet molded compound, but now instead of using calcium carbonate as a filler, they are using nano-clay. It is still a polyester resin system that is used, so any WEST SYSTEM® Epoxy will adhere to it well (as long as it is sanded down). I think the 105 Epoxy Resin with 206 Slow Hardener would work well. If you need gaps filled, adding 406 Colloidal Silica would be best to prevent sagging and rapid loss of strength. I am not sure if there is a gel-coat over the SMC or not, but you may find this user manual on Gelcoat Blister Diagnosis Repair and Prevention may be helpful to you: Mike Barnard

Technical Advisor

Gougeon Brothers, Inc.

(866) 937-8797

3. +1 by:

+1
    Awesome! Thanks brother

+1
    I used the 2 part marine epoxy made by locktite to repair a 3" crack on the nose (top deck) of my FX. My wife was trying to drive it on the trailer and river current caught her, so she smacked into the back of the FZR. Anyhow, that epoxy seemed to work good. Oh, I'm pretty sure these nanoxell boats are painted base/clear, not gel coated. I don't know if I'd use that epoxy if it was as big as your crack or in the same location, but it's held up for my small repair. I am going to just cover it with a sticker temporarily until I can get it painted.

I've used the West System repair kit on my nano hull and its holding up well so far. I have not done a through-and-through repair like yours, but the West system, or any epoxy based system should work. The nano hull is painted as mentioned above, so you want to be sure to get through the paint down to the material before you do the repair.

+1
    Yep as ernest said......I would go with west system & hull is paint finished.
    It is amazing to see the sort of damage that can be repaired by someone who knows what they are doing.............

http://www.jetski-repairman.co.uk/fxho_GRP_repair.htm

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    Yep as ernest said......I would go with west system & hull is paint finished.
    It is amazing to see the sort of damage that can be repaired by someone who knows what they are doing.............

http://www.jetski-repairman.co.uk/fxho_GRP_repair.htm
    Looks great! Now to find someone local to me. I used to repair my own stuff in the day and it looked decent but not show quality. Mostly race boats that didn't need to look perfect as they get dinged on a regular basis. Not sure if I want to try to takle this myself or find someone to do it for me. I guess it will depend on the cost of material vs. cost of taking to the shop to get done.

+1
    We just repaires a 2010 FZS that had an 8 inch hole/crack in the front keel area......we used the west system Epoxy and fiberglass matt (not cloth) the only thing we did differant is add some black tint to the epoxy to turn it black....after the epoxy set up and we did a little contour sanding we were able to use standard gel coat to make it look normal again....this repair has stood up to some hull smacking abuse and is going strong.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by txgp1300r View Post
    We just repaires a 2010 FZS that had an 8 inch hole/crack in the front keel area......we used the west system Epoxy and fiberglass matt (not cloth) the only thing we did differant is add some black tint to the epoxy to turn it black....after the epoxy set up and we did a little contour sanding we were able to use standard gel coat to make it look normal again....this repair has stood up to some hull smacking abuse and is going strong.
    Thanks for the info brother! I will look into the West System stuff for sure and see what I can come up with.

+1
    Just ordered the West Systems 105 with 206 slow hardener. I am going to give this a stab myself and see what happens. I will probably get it through the year and take it to a shop over the winter and get it done right. I know boat shops are busy right now and it is the hottest time of the year.

Thread Information