Thread: Water in mtx-l

+1

Water in mtx-l

I just switched from a digital innovative gauge to a mtx-l and the first time I went out I got water under the lense and it cause the gauge to start going crazy and not showing a correct reading is there anyway to seal these things completely? Has anybody else had this problem besides me? Any tips or a solution would be appreciated thanks brett

+1
    Since the bezels are interchangeable, can't you just open it up and then reassemble but seal it carefully w/ silicone? (once everything is dried out thoroughly).

+1
    I'm hoping so I have it apart now letting it dry out, I didn't know if anybody knew a trick to keeping the water out but it looks like I'm gone just silicone it and see how that does. I was right in the middle of tuning my new setup on me fz and it just started acting crazy and I didn't wont to chance it since I am running a h1 wheel on stock internals

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by yol937 View Post
    I just switched from a digital innovative gauge to a mtx-l and the first time I went out I got water under the lense and it cause the gauge to start going crazy and not showing a correct reading is there anyway to seal these things completely? Has anybody else had this problem besides me? Any tips or a solution would be appreciated thanks brett
    I had the exact same issue with mine. My first one was never right after getting the board wet but what I did with the second one was removed the bezel and carefully seal the clear lens to the bezel and then seal the bezel to the gauge. Then I also took the rear wire out and siliconed them shut as they are just hard plastic and do not seal and if you get water on them, it will penetrate. Then when you install the gauge, neatly silicone where the bezel makes contact on the moubting surface and if you want for added protection, you can throw a small bead around the edgr of the face where the clear lens makes contact with the bezel on the outside. That should be good to go after that.

DO NOT silicone the boards!! I tried it on a gauge in the past and the mother board gets warm during operation and needs to breath in the case otherwise the heat stays internal and fries the board and that's that. A couple lessons learned with this setup but has been great since figuring out the proper sealing method. Hopefully your gauge isn't fried yet. Just disassemble, hit it with compressed air and let it sit for a day to thoroughly dry out and silicone as I mentioned and hopefully you will be good to go!

+1
    You might want to half fill a quart ziplock bag with dried rice and place the gauge inside the bag, in the rice, to dry. The rice is supposed to absorb the water more effectively than air drying. I've been told that it's saved friends smart phones anyway.

googled this: http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...o/tips/4269047

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_A View Post
    You might want to half fill a quart ziplock bag with dried rice and place the gauge inside the bag, in the rice, to dry. The rice is supposed to absorb the water more effectively than air drying. I've been told that it's saved friends smart phones anyway.

googled this: http://www.popularmechanics.com/tech...o/tips/4269047
    That does work if the components have not been fried by moisture already. Most times when eletronics get wet, they are powered up and fry instantly but it is always worth a shot to see if the device has some kind of short protection and could be used after it dries out. Can't hurt to try that's for sure. My first gauge worked after i blew it out with air and siliconed it up. It was just a little glitchy afterwards and didn't trust it at that point. I was probably overreacting but better safe than sorry.

+1
    Thanks guys I figured silicone was the only thing I could to help it out and just for the info innovative make a rubber cover that fits over the backs of there gauges its universal for the db series and the mtx stuff I just ordered one I'm gone sent mine back if it doesn't work when I put it back together tomm and get them to warranty it cause I got it from a truck shop thr my friend owns.. But I'm def gone seal the front up like u said jetpilot I was so close to getting 85 out of the h1 setup with stock internals just had to repitch before it quit on me but it will work out I will get it hopefully I have been logging everything I have done I'm gone do a write up on it when I get done so I can let everybody know jut how much abuse and time the stock motor will hold that setup and he reliability of it

Thread Information