Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

+1

1997 Polaris SLT 780

hey guys i got a 97 polaris 780 slt about 4 months ago and the things diffentilly a progect i got it for working for a guy it was sitting for 2 years put away running and the day i got it home i got it runing the next day i put it in the water and drove it for like 30 minitese and the motor seazed up beacause the guy told me to run 50 to 1 in it so i took it back and unseized it he all so told me that the oil pump was by passed but it wasnt now it is and like a cople weeks ago we tried to make it run but the fuel pump had gone out so it did nothing so to day i tried to make it run with a gravity tank and it kapt back fireing and when it back fires it sounds like a gun going off so my question is why the fuel pump went out my dad took it apart and it looked good could i have messed it up from it seazing up and the vacume messed up or do you think it just went out also why would it keep back firing like it did to day
    Last edited by K447; 04-12-2013 at 04:04 PM.

+1
    all so if the vacume is messed up do you think i can run it with a eltric fuel pump that i can buy at a parts house

+1
    any body no any thing

if it seized, the motor needs to be torn down and checked out. Do a compression test and see what cylinder cooked. 50:1 is a little light in my opinion as i run 40;1 in my skis and have never had issues, but I dont think that would cause the your melt down as ive seen people run 100:1 and never lock their motor up. You have to have a fuel pump as the carbs wont pull enough/the tank isnt preasurized. The backfiring and what not sounds like possibly a result from flodding or inproper timing. You need to tear the motor down and see what blew up as well as go through the carbs. I dont think this is something as simple as a bad vacuum line. Also. the bad fuel pump could of caused the engine seizure in the 1st place.

I'm addicted to Polaris PWC ghostinstallations's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by cumminsbayou View Post
    any body no any thing
    Just a friendly suggestion...Take some time to use proper punctuation and phrasing. That is almost impossible to read. You would be much more likely (in my opinion) to get help if they could understand what you were trying to convey.

There is a lot of great info already documented here :http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/

Best of luck!

+1
    well i tore the motor down when it sceazed and every thing was ok .Then did the comprsion test on it it has about 100 pounds in every cilnder. I think it was flooded yesterday cause the tank had almost no gas in it and i filed it up over half way. How could a bad fuel pump made the motor cieze up cause it has the triple otlet fuel pump

+1
    Well, the pump may "look" good, but it should be rebuilt. If you did not use a fuel pressure gauge, then you have no clue if its good.

A motor can seize for two reasons:

1) Too little oil (which you were running a bit light with a 50:1 ratio).
    2) Too little fuel (lean seize - Possibility with an old fuel pump).

I have a feeling that your problem was a bit of both. 100 PSI is low. You really need to rebuild the motor. At minimum, rebuild the fuel pump and replace the lines. Either re-install oil injection or do the proper oil/fuel mix.

Do not add an electrical fuel pump. A rebuild kit for the fuel pump is like $10. Use a pressure gauge to check the running fuel pressure. If you don't take the time to inspect your ski, you are going to have problems like this.

+1
    i did the proper block off for the oil pump and i am now gonna run 32:1 ill buy a rebuild kit tuesday i know 100 pounds is low but i want to run it till this winter and ill rebuild it

+1
    Sounds good. Let us know how you make out.

+1
    Good advice above... keep in mind that without good fuel flow, you may still have problems... If your fuel pump has been rebuilt, be sure to go through the carbs as well. It is highly recommended that you rebuild them to ensure that everything is working properly. Check your needle settings against factory. Search piston wash and learn how that affects your motor. It is the best indication of how everything is running.... You can run with a low PSI, but if you don't have a good fuel/air ratio, you could experience a burn down.....

Page 1 of 25 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information