07-08-2012, 09:04 AM #1
2000 1200xl Yamaha Exhaust Sensor
My 2000 1200xl started beeping and displayed the exhaust message. I pulled the exhaust sensor which was black and gray. I tried heating the sensor until red hot, dipping in water and followed by compressed air. One small particular came off (and for that matter might have been a bit of dirt) after five attempts. Frustration levels rising, I decided to use a wire brush / find sand paper to clean. When I was through the sensor was a silver color. I re-installed and started without incident in the driveway (with hose running).
I took the ski to the lake the next morning to test the sensor. Each time I attempted to start the engine, it would turnover a couple of times and then stop. Back home, I checked the battery. No problems there. I checked the fuses in the fuse box – no problems there. I tried starting two or three times; nothing. I did hear a subtle click coming from the electric box in the stern each time I pressed the start button.
What is the possibility the sensor is causing this problem. Or do I have another problem in the never ending saga of 'back to the garage?'
07-08-2012, 10:23 AM #2
07-08-2012, 11:54 AM #3
Cutlass, I believe I did. I'm leaning towards pulling the spark plugs out and see if the motor turns over (and water sprays out). However, I have been reading through a couple of threads and now a little uncertain as, if I read correctly, this could cause damage to the internal parts. Thoughts? Comments?
BTW - "Thank you" for taking the time to read and respond.
07-08-2012, 01:07 PM #4
Well, I took the three spark plugs out and they appear to have water on them. I do not see any water in the cylinders. Given it is a two cycle, old injected, engine, there should not be dip-stick or oil filter (that I can see reviewing Yamaha Parts Manual and other information on the internet). I'm at a lost now. Thoughts / comments?
Well, if end up needing to take to the dealership, with the backlog and short Michigan summer, the season is over.
07-08-2012, 03:40 PM #5
Remove the spark plugs, ground the spark plug wires so they don't spark, and attempt to crank the engine over without the plugs in. If you see water gush out of the spark plug holes, then you know there water in the engine. GET the water out ASAP...like today. Crank as much water out as possible. Reinstall the plugs, and see if it'll run. If it does, then take to water and run it hard for 1 hour or so to evaporate the rest of the water out and allow the 2 stroke oil to lube things up good. If you don't do this, the crank and cylinders will rust up and you'll be overhauling your entire engine.
07-17-2012, 08:14 AM #6
start relay replaced, oil added to the engine after water pumped out. running good. lake test today. Thanks for your assistance Cutlass
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)